MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried Tiger seal before, but its messy and it always pops out over the top and you can also see it behind the skirts, plus it's either black or white which doesn't look god against my yellow paintwork lol... I see that you used to be able to get an 'adhesive strip' to run along them - does any one know if this type of stuff is any good and more importantly still available at all? Any other tips / ideas?

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,220 Posts
Tiger seal and other similar adhesives can indeed be very messy to use and if care is not taken in masking off the paintwork along the join line, can be unsightly too. It does however have the benefit of sticking the skirts very well.

The Mk1 skirts were factory/dealer fitted using VHB (Very High Bond) trim tape - if I remember correctly, I think it was made by 3M. Certainly, I have used 3M VHB tape to fit skirts to my own ZRs, and have had no issue with it coming unstuck again.

You do need to ensure that both the area of the skirt and the area of the sill it is to stick to are 100% clean and dry - I gave the edge of my skirts a good clean with cellulose thinners. I seem to recall that the 3M stuff comes with a couple of pads soaked in what they refer to as an adhesion promoter, which should be used on the area of paintwork the tape is to contact - I think it works by very slightly softening the surface of the lacquer which allows an even stronger bond to develop. (I think it was common for dealers to not bother with the promoter back in the day, which resulted in a lot of owners having the skirts come unstuck and sag away from the sill within a year or two!). I have used thinners instead as I didn't have the promoter available to me at the time, and it seems to have achieved a similarly strong and trouble free bond.

Mk2 skirts were attached to the sill with fir tree clips, but the correct size and type no longer seems to be obtainable from anywhere, and the generic alternatives which often get suggested (and which I have used recently) are just a fraction of a millimetre less in diameter than the originals, a just don't grip the holes in the sill sufficiently well, so I think I may use VHB tape to refit my Mk2 skirts at some point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts