MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you guys - brilliant advice. Just to check then, presume you'd all not touch this with a barge pole??... (due to price)

·
Registered
mg_zr
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
SO guys - I have been searching on and off online for a clutch kit (preferably LUK - but they are all sold out). I have noted that there is a 'ZF' clutch that seems triple the price of a 'transmech' (never heard of them lol, or there is an 'AP' that comes out the most expensive.

I CAN however, get an 'original Rover/MG' part from a supplier. They assure me it is an original, but my question is, does anyone actually know who the manufacturer of the original parts was?? I am thinking of this option, but I want to make sure it's obviously decent (should be if its an original?!) as I don't want to have to do this big job again lol

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
When Rimmers were having a big clear-out sale of some MG Rover a couple of years ago, I bought one of the 'New-Take-Off' clutch kits for the ZR/IB5 gearbox to keep 'in stock' for when/if I need it in the future (New-Take-Off = removed from a part built car at Longbridge in 2005, after MGR went bust; XPart went in and removed a huge volume of body panels and other high turnover parts such as brakes and clutches). From your description, it sounds as though the one you have been offered may be one of these NewTO parts too.

The NewTO clutch plate is clearly marked as 'AP', so I would assume that buying an AP clutch kit now would be of equivalent quality to original factory fit, and as I have not yet had to have a new clutch in any car I have owned despite running a bubble 216si to 108k, a ZR 120 to 101k, and my current ZR 120 now on 95k, so I would say the factory fit clutches are pretty decent (AP were taken over by Raicam in 2009, and I don't know if there has been any resultant change to the quality as a result?).

·
Registered
mg_zr
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK that makes perfect sense - I will therefore go with this - thank you so much :)

·
Registered
mg_zr
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Everyone... I just to keep you all updated - I have my clutch kit and have started following steps on a great thread on here for clutch replacement.
Seeing as I won't be working for a while due to this god awful virus, I am going to spend a couple of hours a day and do this slowly but surely.. I am sure I will have a few questions along the way... will keep you all posted :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts