MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n' gals,

So it's been about 14 years since I last owned a TF, but am pleased to say that as of today I have now jumped back in!

I am wondering on a couple of Q's that I am hoping you gurus could answer me on:

I need to put new discs and pads all round, and am just wondering the best ones, as everywhere I search there seem to be two options of the car (135 1.8 '04 reg) which are 280mm diameter and also 240mm diameter... does it make a difference at all or just personal preference?

I have heard that it's worth putting a throttle body on it from the 160 (I believe this is a 52mm one instead of the standard 48mm is that correct?) If so, is it worth getting a re map done before or AFTER this is changed, and does it make that much difference to the performance or fuel economy anyway?..

Speaking of re-mapping - any suggestions the best person for the job? I remember when I had my ZR and ZS remapped, I simply got the ECUs posted to me and fitted them myself... just wondering if there are better mapping option than others, or if they are all about the same?

Exhaust - I have been told that there are some great exhaust replacements to up the performance, so I wondered if anyone had any experience with this?

Finally, the air box/intake.. any suggestions? Is it worth upgrading or just leaving alone?

Thanks ever so much :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,380 Posts
If the car has the big red AP callipers then you will need the larger disc, if it is the standard calliper then the smaller disc.

The 135 already has the 52mm TB

I would leave the induction alone as it is about as good as it gets for standard engines.

·
Registered
mg_zr
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris yes I did wonder about the air induction.. ok will just order a new air filter instead then :) Interesting about the 52mm THAT’S BRILLIANT I didn't realise... ok so probably worth me just getting the remap then... any suggestions at all? Also I will check the callipers - thank you for the heads up on this!

·
Registered
mg_tf
268 Posts
Hi Malakite. If you are looking for an air filter Pipercross is probably the best one. For a remap both Kmaps and Saws are well regarded. I would not say that one is better than the other, pick which one is nearest for you. As for an exhaust you pretty much get what you pay for, I have an MGOC Supersport which is not too loud but there are others. Don't expect a massive increase in power from each of these but you will get a much better throttle response. Don't bother with a decat it's not worth it. If you have the money a good exhaust manifold helps.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
402 Posts
Totally agree with Steve_G; filter + remap complement each other to improve throttle response.

Jury's out on exhaust tho', imo. Stainless might last longer but then you might have to hack off the nuts + bolts. It's invariably noisier, uncomfortably for me. I've taken mine on and off a couple of times and I'm about to list it

Imo SAWS has the advantage that you can d-i-y it at home using PScan (if you have a pal with one...)

·
Registered
mg_zr
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys... I used a guy off here to do my remap on my ZR and ZS a few years ago (Mark from Z & F Tuning) - from my research he seems to have gone to a different company now called 'Kmaps' - so I will look there.. I have noticed another company also called SAWS that some of you have used on here... are these two options the same or different maps, and if so what is what lol..?

·
Registered
mg_tf
268 Posts
I don't know about Kmaps but Saws can (or could when I had mine done) offer different maps, I suspect Kmaps can too. I was more interested in mid range rather than top end power. I am well pleased with result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts