MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a TF 160 right off that had rolled, we are getting running prior to transplanting the engine.
The inertia switch had come on and the bores where full of oil, causing hydraulic locking! took the plugs out and cleared the oil, but what a racket the engine makes with the plugs out, maybe the VVC mech is really noisey?

At that time there was a feeling the engine was knackered. but being optimistic we put the plugs and it fired up, I was surprised as it sounded all right, but it only runs for 2-3 seconds, then stops. You have to wait a while before restarting otherwise it does not fire, I feels like its running on vapour in the induction system?

When cranking with the plugs in it sounds fine?

I am guessing the cutting out after 2 seconds is electrical. I would suspect oil has got into the exhaust, so wondered about the Lamba, I know on some cars it can be disconncted and they still run fine. I belive I have fuel pressure as I can here the pump come on on with the ign and continue for a short time after it stops.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm, interesting, I have had grief with the immobiliser, I had to get another 5AS & fobs with the immobiliser turned off, as the car came without fobs and armed etc not able to crank and the manual door method of entering the code did not work.

So running for a couple of seconds is something the immobiliser causes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a pain, the 5AS was matched to the fobs but I was told the ECU can learn, but this as all been a bit of a nightmare.

I thought we were sorted when it cranked and fired up, I had no idea that it could halt a running engine. I had a look in the manual and it does not really go into the various levels on immobilisation.

I will see if I can get the Fobs working maybe that will help.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
How did you get on with your none start ? To help,the fobs need to be coded to 5AS ecu and the 5AS needs to be coded to mems ecu.Otherwise you end up with the symptoms you have.

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
this happens to me occationally if i disconect the battery and reconeect, the first few starts the engien will be imobalised (i.e. itl run for 2 seconds then cut off) but leave it for a bit and try again and it runs fine?

i assume at some point the main power was interupted? sleep on it and try again the next day, you may get lucky ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts