MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
just wondered if anyone has had a TF rear suspension failure. Driving around and suddenly handling was different and when I went round a corner I could hear what I think was the tyre rubbing. After checking I see that the l/h rear is a lot lower than the r/h (just like the F does but its easy to blow up).
I cannot check it out until Monday and so I thought I would ask on here for some tips.
Many thanks in advance

Clive

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,230 Posts
Complete suspension failure isn't a common problem on the TF however they getting to an age were it is possible that components are starting to fail, I would also go along with it being a broken spring. It would be interesting to know what it is so that we can all keep an eye out on our own cars.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
I've never heard of broken TF springs but I understand the bottom damper bolt was an area of TF weakness.

The later post '05 TFs had a square-sectioned 'dog bolt' upgrade to make them a bit stronger, front and rear.

Apparently Ford Transit suspension bolts were/are the same size as the pre-'06s but were a heavier-duty upgrade. I found this out after the front o/s lower damper bolt broke on my ex-'05 TF when in the care of it's previous owner and the garage put the repair details on the invoice...

Yes, as per Chris T, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Could be wheel bearing, one of my TF's dropped when the bearing collapsed.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
If it does turn out to be a broken spring, make sure you replace the other side too. This will help to ensure even handling, plus there is a chance it might be going the same way as the one that (might) have already gone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks to all who answered with helpful comments, as usual the help was exceptional.

Many Many Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts