MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I now have my lovey new baby boy (he is 8 weeks old!) and i REALLY want to take him out with his daddy in the TF :) The trouble is we have got an airbag fitted to the passenger side when we purchased it, so I need to know the best way of deacitvating it whilst he is in the car, as there is no 'key switch' like on some cars.

Any advice would be great! I'm hoping its a simple case of just pulling a certain fuse out of the box etc, the question is, which one?! :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
From what i know from mine there is no way of deactivating the the passenger air bag on these cars.

is the baby seat forward or backward facing?

Paul

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
its simply not possible to deactivate the pax air bag, besides, if you managed it, your insurance would likely be invalidated. I believe there was also a notice from MGR that baby seats were not to be fitted.

·
Registered
mg_zr
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no this is not what I wanted to hear :( Seriously? I can't deactiave it? Thats ridiculous :( Its a backward facing car seat at the moment because he is so young, is that a good or a bad thing? Does it make a difference as to if I can or cannot sit him in the seat?

Also I have a ZS and the same queston for the front passenger airbag on that? Obviously I can stick him in the back which I do do, but when Im on my own with him I'd like to stick him in the front!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
You maybe able to disconnect the airbag and fit a resistor across the terminals (I don't recommend this as it's something of a bodge, a dangerous one at that) , as said the other implication is that a baby seat shouldn't be fitted to the TF airbag or not, (lets not start that argument again ;)).

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
As its a backwards facing seat not much you can do......

When he can have a forward facing one, i believe it is ok to use it in the front seat with the air bag still activated providing the seat is as far back as it can go....

With these child seats they are fixed tight to the seats and the baby strapped tight within that so in the event of an accident they do not lurch forward like you are i would so providing the seat is right back are kept clear of any airbag......

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Paul, I really don't give a flying fudge if folk fit a baby seat or not, but MGR, iirc, did not specify if a back facing seat was ok, it was a straight forward no to all types, and thats what the ins co's will look at.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
As its a backwards facing seat not much you can do......

When he can have a forward facing one, i believe it is ok to use it in the front seat with the air bag still activated providing the seat is as far back as it can go....

With these child seats they are fixed tight to the seats and the baby strapped tight within that so in the event of an accident they do not lurch forward like you are i would so providing the seat is right back are kept clear of any airbag......

erm i doubt it its meant to be no airbag and child seat due to the height of the child seat = one crushed baby! not to mention airbags usually cause 'minor' burns to adults but to a baby!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
Paul, I really don't give a flying fudge if folk fit a baby seat or not, but MGR, iirc, did not specify if a back facing seat was ok, it was a straight forward no to all types, and thats what the ins co's will look at.
Ok please see link! Also i must find the thing in the car that says about car seats i'm sure it only says no to rear facing

It's just what i have read and heard and seen done it's up to the individual anyway

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
erm i doubt it its meant to be no airbag and child seat due to the height of the child seat = one crushed baby! not to mention airbags usually cause 'minor' burns to adults but to a baby!
yes burns caused by contact!!!!!!!! please re read what i wrote!!!

Anyway its just what i've read i'm not going to argue about it.....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
PaulMGTF160 is correct. Page 28 of my TF handbook says that a rear facing child seat should not be fitted if a passenger airbag is fitted. If a child is in a forward facing child seat then the seat should be positioned fully rearwards.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
PaulMGTF160 is correct. Page 28 of my TF handbook says that a rear facing child seat should not be fitted if a passenger airbag is fitted. If a child is in a forward facing child seat then the seat should be positioned fully rearwards.
thanks i knew i had read it in the hand book when i got

Paul

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The F/TF was not type approved for any type of car seat so no matter what type you fitted be there an airbag or not the insurance would technically be invalid.

No idea if you would be breaking any road laws but its a possibility.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would definitely argue that if the drivers handbook says you can do it then it should be legal and the insurance would not be invalid.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,072 Posts
The F/TF was not type approved for any type of car seat so no matter what type you fitted be there an airbag or not the insurance would technically be invalid.

But 2 sources of information say otherwise, and one being the cars handbook..... would make the insurance company areguement extremely weak and they really wouldnt have a case!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
But 2 sources of information say otherwise, and one being the cars handbook..... would make the insurance company areguement extremely weak and they really wouldnt have a case!
The TF's owners hand book is erroneous in this regard, it's worth reading this written by Rincewind an ex-MGR engineer working on approval

No, the tests we did were for type Approval purposes i.e. making the cars legal for road use not for "court cases" as you so put it.

During the seat testing we did back in 2003, we covered all bases when the car went from F to TF and we tried rear facing seats and they were not approved for the car as they did not meet the requirments laid down in legislation and then we tried the "grown up" seats i.e. forward facing seats to cover the range of seats we were working on from a few manufacturers but at the time we mainly worked with Britax and their car seats ranging from the first forward facing seats to the older versions so that for the Reg 17 seating requirements we could type approve certain seats for the cars.

However, it was decided as the universal seating model used (Gabarit) the seat buckles did not meet the requirements for seat fitment so that is why the F and TF were never type approved for rearward or forward facing child seats. It was not done to cover our bottoms.

If a car manufacturer say "not recommended for use" etc, there is a perfectly justifiable reason as to why it's put, it's not there simply becasuse the manufacturer couldn't be bothered to do the research to sort the issue out. We felt that it was not in the interests of safety to recommend the fitment of child seats in the car where as in the rest of the vehicle ranges, there were a series of seats recommended and if you were to ever find the type approval document relating to seating out you'd find the necessary clauses and test reports showing what could anc couldn't be fitted.

Sure child seats have come on in leaps an bounds over the last few years, but the actual child seat has not much to do with it, it's how it locates on the seat and how the seat belts and the anchorages relate to the cild seat as to it's ability to fit correctly. You culd have the best seat in the world from a Reg 44 point of view, but if it does not meet the requierments it won't comply with the Directives and Regulations.

However, you takes yer pick and it's up to you at the end of the day. The role I'm in now at the VCA takes all of this into account and I'm one of the guys who puts the tick in the box to say if a manufacturer meets all of the requirements.

I think your comment "... so please don't just listen to MGR" a little misguided unless of course you know the Regulations in question inside out and you have a copy of the system approval relating to the vehicle.

Nic

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
You take the risk in fitting one. All down to your own decision making.

Just looked it up on our systems and the F/TF is marked as not suitable, so presumably would be on the assessors list.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts