MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after the last episode of it losing power and breaking down I thought everything was OK. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but reset the computer as some of the fault codes e.g. air con and automatic gear box didn't apply to the car so they thought the computer might not be set to spec.

Anyway, same thing happened yesterday on the M5. Except this time I was going 70 mph and then it just started to deccelerate (sp?) and I ended up on the hard shoulder for nearly 2 hours! Got recovered home and it drives again this morning. I'm frightened to take it to work because it seems to break down in this heat.

Sad thing was I was on the way back from a funeral and then this happens. Saw my cousin at the funeral and found out he now deals in sports cars and has a garage. He says it sounds like the fuel injection system and to get the fuel filter changed and some injection cleaner through the tank. I checked the servicing and the filter hasn't been changed since the car was made (15,000 miles ago). Has anyone else had this problem with the fuel injection system? Do you think this may sort it all out?

My cousin has a Honda S2000 for sale on a W plate with 75000 miles for £9,000 which my husband wants me to buy instead. Only thing is, if I trade in my MG there will be £1,500 deficit so will have to find the money somewhere. I just feel really sad about my MG as I really like it but can't handle it breaking down like this.....just don't know what to do..:indiff:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
All sounds quite distressing and unusual.

The fuel filter, and the spark plugs, are scheduled for changing at 60000 miles (or 48 months, whichever is first) on the TF. However, I tend to change plugs and leads every couple of years "just in case".

I agree it is sounding like fuel starvation - could be blocked filter, failing fuel pump, blocked tank breather, even over tight filler cap leading to a vacuum in the tank.

Can your cousin help with changing the bits - he may not have access to the MGR TestBook but a good mechanic can set up using Sun or Crypton type kit as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 54 plate 135. My cousin could have taken a look at it but he lives in Coventry and I live in South Wales, travelling isn't a problem usually but I am too frightened to take it the distance in this heat. I have just taken it down the local garage and they are going to change the filter for me and flush the tank, they are very good down there. Everyone that has looked at it is a bit miffed really. When I told the man at the garage that people seem to think I've had a tank of bad fuel, he asked where I had filled up. When I told him he pulled a face, says it all really. Two days before it broke down the first time I had filled up at a local texaco garage, but most of the pumps were out of service and I think I got the dregs of the one remaining working pump, don't know if this could have caused problems with the fuel system??

Also looks like I'm waving goodbye to my TF even if it gets fixed, my husband has had enough and says he doesn't want me breakind down anymore and being stranded. The adverts being put together as we speak...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sprinter said:
All sounds quite distressing and unusual.

The fuel filter, and the spark plugs, are scheduled for changing at 60000 miles (or 48 months, whichever is first) on the TF. However, I tend to change plugs and leads every couple of years "just in case".

I agree it is sounding like fuel starvation - could be blocked filter, failing fuel pump, blocked tank breather, even over tight filler cap leading to a vacuum in the tank.

Can your cousin help with changing the bits - he may not have access to the MGR TestBook but a good mechanic can set up using Sun or Crypton type kit as well.
When they change the filter etc do you think they will have alook at the pump and tank breather etc too?

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
HigginsH said:
Also looks like I'm waving goodbye to my TF even if it gets fixed, my husband has had enough and says he doesn't want me breakind down anymore and being stranded. The adverts being put together as we speak...
BTW Don't take my comments as unduly personal - just the way I type sometimes.

I'm sorry but if I were your husband, or it was my wife's car, I'd be putting a bit of effort in to getting it sorted rather than simply burying my head in the sand.

It seems that your car has stopped a couple of times and it is probably the same fault. An MGR (or XPART) dealer should have got the right codes but they may have been very general e.g. fuel management problem. Get the source found and fixed and the car will give you as much pleasure as they have given to over 75000 other owners.

However, I would also be concerned about my wife being stranded, particularly at night; in your case it would seem that letting the car go, and buying something else equally unknown, might be the right solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOOD NEWS!!!

The fuel filter was absolutely caked with muck, and there was even water in there. The man at the garage said it was the worst he has ever seen, and said I must have had some really bad fuel. The filter has now been replaced and cleaner put through the fuel. Hopefully this will sort the problem.

We were going to buy a Honda S2000 from my cousins garage, and the MG is supposed to be going in autotrader this weekend, but now I really don't want it to go. I'm tempted to hang on to it and see how it runs, it feels smoother already when driving it. Might have some explaining to do to my cousin, but that's a small price to pay for keeping my MG :D

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
in buying a new car you may have problems with that, at least you've sorted quite a few on the MG. Do you want some of 'the boys' to come round and 'convince' hubby :D, altho just sending Mgfdude may do it ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
petevick said:
in buying a new car you may have problems with that, at least you've sorted quite a few on the MG. Do you want some of 'the boys' to come round and 'convince' hubby :D, altho just sending Mgfdude may do it ;)
Thanks for the offer, but I'll try and work my magic! Not sure if it works though after nine years, but I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
And you could jumping from the pan into the fire (is that right) I'm sure the Honda S2000 is a very reliable being Honda, but I should imagine day to day running costs and servicing would be a tad higher. I would try and stick with the TF. I'm sure once this wee problem is sorted, it will bring endless pleasure.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,477 Posts
If you are set on the S2000 (or does your husband fancy it more then the TF ;)) check the suspension bushes as they seem to be the weak point and can cost ££££ to fix. I have to say it seems a tad harsh on the TF getting rid of it after giving it some bad petrol and the filter doing its job in protecting the engine.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
HigginsH said:
GOOD NEWS!!!

The fuel filter was absolutely caked with muck, and there was even water in there. The man at the garage said it was the worst he has ever seen, and said I must have had some really bad fuel. The filter has now been replaced and cleaner put through the fuel. Hopefully this will sort the problem.

We were going to buy a Honda S2000 from my cousins garage, and the MG is supposed to be going in autotrader this weekend, but now I really don't want it to go. I'm tempted to hang on to it and see how it runs, it feels smoother already when driving it. Might have some explaining to do to my cousin, but that's a small price to pay for keeping my MG :D
A friend bought an S2K and hated driving it - his normal motoring included too much traffic and he spent al day changing between 2nd & 3rd gears. It taught him how bas a high revving, low torque motor can be on a daily basis.

i drove it a few times and, provided the revs were kept over 7k, liked it; if I did a regular run to Monaco then it could be an ideal car. Would I buy one with over 70000 miles - no way.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I sat in one at the local honda Dealers a couple of months ago and found it quite small i'm only 6' 2. But I had little or no room for my legs or feet.

MikeS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts