MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 1.8 vvc Mgf 2004 105 Zr 2018 mg3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ....i took delivery of a 2003 dark blue Tf just before xmas ...i didnt really want her as i currently have a F a Zr and a Mg3 ...as much as i love her already i really want my garage space back so i can prep the F for summer and also start to work on the Zr panels .
She is to good to break thats why i saved her ! Anyone on here looking for a project ? Or know someone who might want a project ?
She has push button start and failed Mot due to 50p hole in a sill corroded brakelines and she will need a new exhaust all way to manifold .
If anyone is interested please let know and il forward some pics of her at the weekend once iv taken them
Many thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
268 Posts
Strangely, this forum does not display the location of its members, although I’m pretty sure it did until recent times.
Upshot is that members have no idea if distances are practical enough to show an interest.

If locations were once shown, does anybody know why they aren’t now, and when this change took place.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
Under the old vBulletin based forum, member location was displayed clearly under their user name, but - only if they had entered it in their user profile, which the majority of members seemed to be unwilling to do, even if prompted by others when they had asked something which needed any respondent to know where they were.

The new Xenforo based forum does show location, but now obfuscated by simply displaying the country flag of the nation the member is from (which is all very well if you have an encyclopedic knowledge of flags of the world!), and if you hover your cursor over the flag, a pop-up box will show indicating the town/district of the members location, BUT, again, only if that member has bothered to enter it. Almost everything we were used to in the old forum, seems to have been hidden behind a meaningless icon, hidden behind new meaningless jargon (why are threads now called 'discussions, and private messages have become 'conversations'??), hidden behind several actions to get to them when they used to be clear and in the open The edit facility hidden behind three dots at the top of the thread, and the ability to edit posts expires after a period), or features have been deleted altogether. XenForo is a very poor imitation of vB in my opinion (or perhaps it's just the inability of the VS IT people to actually set it all up properly?).

It appears that none of the specific location data was transferred from the old forum (or at least not so that it would link to the new user profile box display, so it needs to be re-entered by all members.

It does seem a bit odd to offer a car on the forum, and not tell those interested in it where they would need to collect it from???

It also used to be the case that you had to pay a small fee (£3) to offer something for sale, but there seems to be no mechanism for doing so in the current set-up, and it appears that any registered member is able to post items for sale in the 'For Sale' section of the forum now, and there has been no mention of re-introducing a facility for paid non-trader advertising, so perhaps they have done away with the fee?

At any rate, this thread should have been put in the 'For Sale' section, with a post in this (F/TF) section pointing to it if desired.

I hope the OP finds a home for his TF, but he does need to tell everyone where it is if he wants to get any interest in it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
268 Posts
Many thanks Man in the Car.
Sounds very much like change rather than progress!
If I’ve read it correctly, I can /would be able to reinstate my location if I tap the Union flag symbol, but tapping the symbol doesn’t seem to do anything for me.
Am I alone in not being aware of this change, and have I missed some ‘general alert’ which previously explained all of this?
Re. the original poster of this ‘advert’ does he perhaps believe his location would have been seen since he entered it in his profile or whatever?
In my book:- two good bits of information to include in an advert are - where you are, and what the selling price is. ‘Offers - or similar’ is rather an off put to me.

·
Registered
1998 1.8 vvc Mgf 2004 105 Zr 2018 mg3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all ....i took delivery of a 2003 dark blue Tf just before xmas ...i didnt really want her as i currently have a F a Zr and a Mg3 ...as much as i love her already i really want my garage space back so i can prep the F for summer and also start to work on the Zr panels .
She is to good to break thats why i saved her ! Anyone on here looking for a project ? Or know someone who might want a project ?
She has push button start and failed Mot due to 50p hole in a sill corroded brakelines and she will need a new exhaust all way to manifold .
If anyone is interested please let know and il forward some pics of her at the weekend once iv taken them
Many thanks
Sorry new to site
Southampton Hampshire Uk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts