MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I am new to this group and was hoping someone could possibly advise me after maybe having to replace a drivers side door handle on Georgie, my silver Tf? My question is after taking a look at it from taking the door card off is, can it be done with the window rails not being moved or does the drivers window have to be completely removed to get to the screw nearest to the lock ?
I have been told by Russell at MG Solutions that it is “ a pig of a job” and looking at it , is seems so. Can anyone please advise ?
Thank you for your time

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, I removed a seized driver door lock in Jan this year doing most of what you want to do.
Uncomfortable but 'do-able'...My thread from ~4months ago is still be around on P5 going backwards called 'TF driver door keylock problem'
It contains a lot of useful pics that people contributed and I couldn't have done it w/out them (thanks again folks :))
I seem to remember winding the window up/down to get at those screws...

·
Registered
262 Posts
...and I now remember that as well as the screws, getting the lock barrel circlip off (initially) and back on during rebuild (really frustrating) made the job 'piggish'

·
Registered
mg_tf
408 Posts
No need to remove any of the window parts to remove the handle. As mentioned the clip that holds the lock in place can be a fiddle to remove the first time, you have to spring it out from the top, when you replace it I put it in the other way up so you can release it by pulling it down. You can clip the spring clip in place prior to installing the handle and the lock barrel then just pushes in and locks in place. Don’t over tighten the 2 course thread screws/bolts that hold the handle in or you’ll crack the plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts