MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had overheating due to low coolant level, I'm considering fitting a coolant level sensor to my TF (2003 model). If anyone has experience of either the MGOC or Rimmer Bros kit, I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
mg_tf
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No experience with either, however I did fit the Brown & Gammons variant over 11 years ago (although I didn’t pay £167.94 for it at the time) and it has saved the day twice in that time so regardless of the type I would say it is well worth fitting and should have been fitted by MGR from day one. MGF & TF Low Coolant Water Level Sensor Kit - Brown and Gammons
Thanks, Chris -- and for the link. My wife had a late 2005 TF a few years ago and that did have the sensor fitted as standard which, like you, i thought was a really good idea (having had HGF on her MGF some years ago due to coolant loss)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put a TF bottle and sensor in my MGF, hooked up to a delay timer relay board I got off ebay for cheap. This is a less costly option if you have some basic electronics knowledge it's not hard to do.

However the genuine TF sensor was expensive rubbish - intermittent function. I replaced it with a generic reed switch which works fine with the TF float / magnet, costs a fraction of the price, and it has been very reliable since.

It has definitely saved me one overheat.

David

·
Registered
MGTF 135
28 Posts
From my recent experience (see HGF new year post) any alarm you fit will be worth it, may well have saved me a lot of money, but I am lucky, my 2004 had the wiring and dash light already installed. I just had to change the tank. Even at 170 quid from B and G, think of the possible long term savings and piece of mind. There are several posts about a DIY option if money is tight, this is one: Contactless low water coolant level alarm project. use original expansion tank

Keith

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
667 Posts
The low coolant alarm kit available from Rimmer, MGOC Spares, and B&G are all the same kit. Although expensive, it only has to save you once from overheating the engine once to pay for itself and then more.

This is the kit from the guy on the T-Bar: MGF / MG TF - LOW COOLANT ALARM KIT - No Drilling Required | eBay

I believe Mike Satur is/has developed a low coolant alarm kit as well; supposed to be much cheaper than the one from RImmer, etc.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,746 Posts
I had a kit made specific for these cars but I can't remember who by, I know it came with the bottle, wiring, control box, warning light and beeper, quality kit, think it was only about £100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts