MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've searched but I just can't find recommendations for the best brake pads for the TF. Front 304mm and rear standard but with 280mm disks. I'm looking at EBC green or yellow, or Black diamond Predator, any suggestions on these? No track days but spirited driving.

Regards

Keith

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
837 Posts
I installed a set of EBC green stuff on my wife's F this past winter and they seem to be an improvement over the standard pads that were on the car in terms of better, more predictable braking.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a set of EBC green stuff on my wife's F this past winter and they seem to be an improvement over the standard pads that were on the car in terms of better, more predictable braking.
Thanks for the input, that's a step in the right direction!

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I have black stuff standard pads all round. They do stop the car but nothing special. The ebc discs I bought are lovely. They have no run out.

·
Registered
mg_tf
160 Posts
Mintex do the job.
Some of the EBC pads are too hard for everyday use and will wear your discs out before they do. My BGT had yellow stuff and we binned them in favour of the mintex much happier braking now.

I use standard mintex pads with slotted and drilled discs on my 160. I was quite impressed with how they performed on a track day at Anglesea. But you doo have to press the peddle hard on these cars.

I can't say I'm too impressed by the AP brakes fitted to the TF. I'm no fan of the MX5 (Not enough leg room and too much like and ordinary car imo), but the brakes are hands and feet above the TF in feel and performance.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Mintex do the job.
Some of the EBC pads are too hard for everyday use and will wear your discs out before they do. My BGT had yellow stuff and we binned them in favour of the mintex much happier braking now.

I use standard mintex pads with slotted and drilled discs on my 160. I was quite impressed with how they performed on a track day at Anglesea. But you doo have to press the peddle hard on these cars.

I can't say I'm too impressed by the AP brakes fitted to the TF. I'm no fan of the MX5 (Not enough leg room and too much like and ordinary car imo), but the brakes are hands and feet above the TF in feel and performance.
Well I've got the original 2003 240 front discs with 15" wheels. I have dreamt of a braking improvement for years. Surely the 160 brakes are superior?

·
Registered
MG TF 135 2003
21 Posts
Well I've got the original 2003 240 front discs with 15" wheels. I have dreamt of a braking improvement for years. Surely the 160 brakes are superior?
Yes, the 160 has the AP calipers and 304 discs at the front. So they are much superior.
AP Calipers

Standard calipers

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Yes, the 160 has the AP calipers and 304 discs at the front. So they are much superior.
AP Calipers

That's what I thought. Well I did until Val h above said they were not too impressed by the AP brakes. Since I have only my own normal calipers and discs I can only relate to those.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was very underwhelmed with the 4 pot calipers and 304mm disks at the front of my TF (I've got 280 on the rear with standard pads), I bought them new,. very expensive, and to my mind little or no improvement in stopping power. This is why I'm looking for better pads. I've always thought that the brakes on the TF were like chewing gum, the old car was just the same.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I have always used Mintex, if they are on offer at Euro Car Parts I have used Brembo too.

·
Registered
mg_tf
183 Posts
I fitted 280 drilled and slotted discs all round with brembo pads. Also strengthening brace for vacuum unit. Brakes are epic.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, thanks everyone for their input - Black Diamond all round (my thoughts), Brembo, Mintex, and Mike Satur is offering Black Diamond rears and AP Apex for the front (he advised me against EBC greens), and Textar look interesting. Christmas day, once we've got our party hats on I think I'll have a lucky dip and see what comes out! I've really got several months yet before I change the pads, the existing ones are only about 2000 miles old, but to my mind very poor. At the same time I'll put on Mike's servo steady bracket - I've got aircon so that will be fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, thanks everyone for their input - Black Diamond all round (my thoughts), Brembo, Mintex, and Mike Satur is offering Black Diamond rears and AP Apex for the front (he advised me against EBC greens), and Textar look interesting. Christmas day, once we've got our party hats on I think I'll have a lucky dip and see what comes out! I've really got several months yet before I change the pads, the existing ones are only about 2000 miles old, but to my mind very poor. At the same time I'll put on Mike's servo steady bracket - I've got aircon so that will be fun.
I have a 160 and and currently black diamond pads installed from Mike Satur. Together with grooved brake discs, bigger rear brake discs, servo support brackets and ss brake pipes. I have previously had EBC yellows and reds fitted but they have become a bit pricey so thought I would try the black diamond. I do the occasional trackday and they work fine on track. Perhaps a little more noisy. And are fine for everyday driving. A small point, the black diamond rear pads have the wear indicator where the EBC pads do not which is helpful as the rears do wear a lot quicker than the fronts.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 160 and and currently black diamond pads installed from Mike Satur. Together with grooved brake discs, bigger rear brake discs, servo support brackets and ss brake pipes. I have previously had EBC yellows and reds fitted but they have become a bit pricey so thought I would try the black diamond. I do the occasional trackday and they work fine on track. Perhaps a little more noisy. And are fine for everyday driving. A small point, the black diamond rear pads have the wear indicator where the EBC pads do not which is helpful as the rears do wear a lot quicker than the fronts.
Thanks, that's interesting I looked at reds but I just couldn't find them for the TF, I don't suppose you know the part numbers for the front and rears, or where to find them?

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last time I looked at EBC pads I could only see the yellow.
Thanks randall, so I've made my mind up finally now, Black Diamond all round, just got to find a seller that doesn't want to charge me as much again as the pads to send them here to CZ.

·
Registered
MG TF 135 2003
21 Posts
I was very underwhelmed with the 4 pot calipers and 304mm disks at the front of my TF (I've got 280 on the rear with standard pads), I bought them new,. very expensive, and to my mind little or no improvement in stopping power. This is why I'm looking for better pads. I've always thought that the brakes on the TF were like chewing gum, the old car was just the same.
I super agree with you, I have the AP calipers plus 304 discs. I tried EBC greenstuff and Brembo pads and there is a poor brake power, I don't want to imagine the stopping power with standard brakes...

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I super agree with you, I have the AP calipers plus 304 discs. I tried EBC greenstuff and Brembo pads and there is a poor brake power, I don't want to imagine the stopping power with standard brakes...
Once I've fitted the servo support bracket and Black Diamond Predator pads all round I'll come back and tell you how they go. It'll be some months though because it's too cold here to work on the car right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts