MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MGTF 135
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While the console trim was off I decided to convert the fog lamps to DRL with a relay to switch them off when the headlights come on, and at the moment loads of space to work on it. So far so simple, that isn't the problem it's straight forward wiring. But I'm dammed if I can find an ignition switched live supply that's relatively easy to get at. I've looked at the wiring diagram and all I can see is the 3mm main supply from the ignition switch, and I don't really want to break into that unless I have to. My questions are: Is there a spare switched terminal on the ignition switch? Is here a relatively easy to get at cable (apart from the 3mm red) that also carries a switched ignition supply? I don't want the radio switched supply, it has to be from position 3 so that the lights come on only when the engine is running. Maybe I've been looking too hard and overlooked the obvious, I did look at some older posts but these dealt with the Mk 1 and early Mk 2 looms. My car has the later loom. Any help please?

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
mg_tf
81 Posts
I did something similar when i fitted DRL's in my headlamps. I found a switched live inside the fuse box and used a piggyback fuse to connect to it so no need to cut into cables. Mine is a 2002 TF. If you have a multimeter you should be able to locate a switch live fuse in the fuse box.

·
Registered
729 Posts
While the console trim was off I decided to convert the fog lamps to DRL with a relay to switch them off when the headlights come on, and at the moment loads of space to work on it. So far so simple, that isn't the problem it's straight forward wiring. But I'm dammed if I can find an ignition switched live supply that's relatively easy to get at. I've looked at the wiring diagram and all I can see is the 3mm main supply from the ignition switch, and I don't really want to break into that unless I have to. My questions are: Is there a spare switched terminal on the ignition switch? Is here a relatively easy to get at cable (apart from the 3mm red) that also carries a switched ignition supply? I don't want the radio switched supply, it has to be from position 3 so that the lights come on only when the engine is running. Maybe I've been looking too hard and overlooked the obvious, I did look at some older posts but these dealt with the Mk 1 and early Mk 2 looms. My car has the later loom. Any help please?

Thanks

Keith
A 2004 TF will have an ignition switched positive feeding fuse no 21 in the fusebox under the steering column. The wire is a green one with a pink stripe. It feeds into the ABS with 15 A and is the main switched supply to the ABS system. I would use this to drive a relay so you do not overload the circuit and then switch your DRL's from this auxiliary relay.
When I wired my DRL's up I used a custom made controller from Ebay and wired directly from the battery via a fuse link and used the circuits from the headlights to control the DRL functions. I also had to add two secondary relays to isolate each DRL when the relative indicator was flashing. I used signals from the indicator stalk switch to do this, as the DRL needed to turn off while indicating ( not flash!). My DRL's are fitted into my headlights so the need to isolate the DRL when indicating was most necessary. Not sure if the MOT man will allow them to stay lit when indicating if they are installed into the fog lights, but may be ok. Also they will need to be dimmed when you put your lights on. The Ebay controller will do this for you. DRL Daytime Running Light Auto Dimmer Dimming Relay Controller Switch Harness UK 701160648957 | eBay

Sundance

·
Registered
MGTF 135
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input, especially especially the details from Sundance. After a bit of research I decided to use piggyback fuse holders. I fitted a relay for the fog lights some time ago as the car didn't have them, and latched from the sidelights. All I'm going to do is get a feed from the fusebox (fuse 18 I think) which is the feed for the rear fogs. This will go through another relay which will be switched from one of the headlight fuses, the load is only about 100 ma for each relay coil. The result will be auto on for the fogs, which will be switched off when the headlights come on, and of course the fogs will work if I only have sidelights on. Just waiting for the piggybacks to arrive from the UK.

Keith

·
Registered
mg_tf
389 Posts
I built mine into the headlights along with an Arduino based controller. All the signals for sidelights, headlights and indicators are available within the unit so it meant I only had to pick a switched supply which I did from the wiper motor. This means the headlight unit just replaces the old unit and only requires 1 extra wire going to the switched supply.

The unit is configurable with a laptop and a USB cable that plugs into the controller that sits under the cover for the sidelight bulb. This allows me to set the brightness for each different situation ie when the side lights are on dim to 30% or even off. I couldn’t resist putting a demo function on it, if you turn the ignition on with the sidelights already on it goes into demo mode that goes through various strobe functions.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally did the job today, didn't take too long. Piggybacked fuse 26 for a switched supply so the fogs come on automatically, and fuse 14 (dipped lights) which turns the supply to the fogs off, through a relay.

Great for the summer and my bad memory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts