MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've a Trophy Blue MGTF 160 sat in the garage now for 8 years as we live overseas. It looks fine. Matching Heritage hard top.

Problem with starter motor and probably siezed.... so non runner.

How would I get rid if it / sell it ABOUT 60K miles...I think.

Reg N40DCW to be retained

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,114 Posts
Ebay, Gumtree, On this website? Personally I wouldn't try facebook marketplace due to the chancers on there wanting everything for free. You will not be able to retain the reg without first getting an MOT on it as the MOT expired more than 5 years ago.

Price wise, hard to say, prices are rising but without an mot and if the issues are potential seizure you maybe looking at scrap value. Starter motor issues are quite common, there have been recent post on here where people have issues. Personally, I would see if it turns over, even of you have to manually crank it over (put in gear - not so much recommended, socket on the crank pulley). Obviously if it is just a starter issues it will likely start which will then mean the price you get for it will increase considerably, Also, if its been garage its not likely to have suffered corrosion on underbody components so may be easier to get MOT'd especially as the previous one didn't have any advisories.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Best bet is to get someone to get it going otherwise, it’s scrap value.
you don’t say what year it is but in its present state as a non runner they can be had for less than a Grand.
not what you want to hear, I know.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ebay, Gumtree, On this website? Personally I wouldn't try facebook marketplace due to the chancers on there wanting everything for free. You will not be able to retain the reg without first getting an MOT on it as the MOT expired more than 5 years ago.

Price wise, hard to say, prices are rising but without an mot and if the issues are potential seizure you maybe looking at scrap value. Starter motor issues are quite common, there have been recent post on here where people have issues. Personally, I would see if it turns over, even of you have to manually crank it over (put in gear - not so much recommended, socket on the crank pulley). Obviously if it is just a starter issues it will likely start which will then mean the price you get for it will increase considerably, Also, if its been garage its not likely to have suffered corrosion on underbody components so may be easier to get MOT'd especially as the previous one didn't have any advisories.
Thanks for replies chaps.
Bit awkward, living in Bahrain to takecany temidual action.
So I think ill sell the hardtop and go down the scrap route.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best bet is to get someone to get it going otherwise, it’s scrap value.
you don’t say what year it is but in its present state as a non runner they can be had for less than a Grand.
not what you want to hear, I know.
What I expected...more than ai thought actually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It would be a real shame to scrap it if it's savable. I think it would be well worth getting someone to at least investigate how bad it before making that decision. Hell, if it was reasonably close, I'd be happy to have a play; although I'm decidedly an amateur. I do intend to get one of these once finances allow but realistically I'd need one that is running and has a ticket.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem is it would be a £2k flight commitment. And then there's the time. Just not justified. Shame. As there's not a mark on her.
Thanks for the input tho.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,114 Posts
I'd assume you would not be coming back to sell on the hard to and car so could you possibly use someone you know who'd be doing the sale of hard top and car to let people look at/buy? If you do look to go down the scrappy line I would first advertise on somewhere like ebay on an auction listing, depending on pictures you may get far more selling that way even after fees to someone who may be an enthusiast rather than what a scrappy would offer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts