MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just bought a low mileage 2004 MGTF because I have always wanted one and at first no problem! However since then the red battery warning light has come on and does not charge the battery and I am not going anywhere once battery power has gone! At first I thought alternator belt and changed it that made no difference then changed the alternator and same thing, checked fuses and all seems good followed by earthing cables and such and they seemed good as well! I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they resolved the problem or am I overlooking something simple?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sounds like you’ve done a lot of sensible stuff. Try measuring the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine off (>12v) and then running ( >14v) Is the battery giving enough power? If you’ve got another battery, try that...

·
Registered
mg_tf
56 Posts
Have you checked the single fuse located at the top of the engine inspection port. It's fastened to the fire wall panel between the engine and boot. It's in a plastic box about 30mm long and 10mm wide with a black p!astic cover. Thinks its about 80 amp rating and protects the alternator.

·
Registered
rover_75
96 Posts
Hi I have just bought a low mileage 2004 MGTF because I have always wanted one and at first no problem! However since then the red battery warning light has come on and does not charge the battery and I am not going anywhere once battery power has gone! At first I thought alternator belt and changed it that made no difference then changed the alternator and same thing, checked fuses and all seems good followed by earthing cables and such and they seemed good as well! I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they resolved the problem or am I overlooking something simple?
Hi is the battery good or has it delveloped a short in the battery

1 - 4 of 4 Posts