MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had a small prang in there car and the repair center threat to write it off because they cannot get parts

I AM SO GUTTED!

My car didn't have 1 scratch, low miles, only 1.5 years old & full spec etc...

I am so upset as it didn't even look like there was alot of damage

Wing mirror
alloy scratched to hell & tyre heavily damaged
front quater scratch & dented
Bumper screwed one side
headlights ripped off
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
Whoever told you that is talking out of their proverbial. All major and nearly all minor parts are now available from stock from XPart. Even the hard to get ones are sorted within a couple of weeks. If I was you I would be speaking to your garage. A member here was told recently that a part was not available. He went back and stood over them while they phoned XPart. Surprise surprise it was delivered within days.

Honestly it simply is not true. Let me know if I can help by contacting XPart for you.

Mike :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
Ah a repair centre. Tell your insurance co. to get it moved to a dealer or XPart centre. These repair centres imo are rubbish.

M
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,474 Posts
Apparently Xpart now have a service dedicated to stopping this sort of nonsense, they will try and work with the repair centre to ensure that they get the parts.
 

·
Registered
rover_45
Joined
·
11,619 Posts
I am sorry but X-Part might pull the wool over some people's eye's but not mine. Since 2003 when they took over they have had availability problems and that still remains the case today. Up to the collapse of MG Rover I had daily dealings with X-Part and the situation never changed. My 52 reg 45 has been written off due to rear doors and a rear panel not been available and I have checked this myself. The door skins are but I need the whole door so it's good by 45 hello new 45.
 
G

·
Thats weird cos my mates father in law got a new read door and rear wing for a ZS direct from X-Part. Came to the company doing the repair overnight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Sejin26 said:
I am sorry but X-Part might pull the wool over some people's eye's but not mine. Since 2003 when they took over they have had availability problems and that still remains the case today. Up to the collapse of MG Rover I had daily dealings with X-Part and the situation never changed. My 52 reg 45 has been written off due to rear doors and a rear panel not been available and I have checked this myself. The door skins are but I need the whole door so it's good by 45 hello new 45.
Agreed, whilst 99% of parts are available, there is a VERY important 1% that are missing. Things like panels and boot hatches and front bumpers etc are not easy to come by.
When my car was written off (with some pretty twisted metal behind the scenes too granted, but the parts were a factor) I spoke with the engineer, and he said that he had a Rover sitting in the car park waiting for a new boot for over a month with no sign of it ever coming.
These people are attempting to source these parts all the time, they know whats available and whats not, not what X-Part say they have.

The parts taht are hard to get are exactly the parts which get damaged in a typical front or rear end collision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
e668ecp said:
Nanjing are pressing most panels right now and an agreement was signed with X-Part (MG Rover Parts)
Yeah now, but until that all trickles through its true to say that a lot of accident damaged parts are/were to get.

Also surely if you take your car to an accident repair centre, they would much rather fix it so the insurance company pays them, than tell the insurance company that they cant get parts so they cant fix it, so the insurers pay directly to me.
Its in the accident repairers interest to get the parts.
 

·
Registered
rover_45
Joined
·
11,619 Posts
Mine was a Mk1. Some repair centres are using 2nd hand parts to fix cars. I have refused the use of filler and 2nd hand parts on my car. This could also have been a factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Sejin26 said:
Mine was a Mk1. Some repair centres are using 2nd hand parts to fix cars. I have refused the use of filler and 2nd hand parts on my car. This could also have been a factor.
If you wanted to use spare parts, you would just let them write the car off, buy it back, and fix it yourself.
I was going to do that but mine was a Cat C, couldnt be bothered with the retest, and then its becomes a little devalued if I ever tried to resell it.
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
135 Posts
e668ecp said:
Nanjing are pressing most panels right now and an agreement was signed with X-Part (MG Rover Parts)
its not always the major panels that are the problem many of the parts required to build boors, boot lids, bonnets etc can not be sourced because nanjing do not own the tools for the sub assemblies like latches or catches or flitches etc. And the tooling for bumpers and sill finishers is still in the possesion of the likes of Murplas, who spent a lot of money on tools hoping to recoup the outlay through the mark up on sales.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
fudge123 said:
its not always the major panels that are the problem many of the parts required to build boors, boot lids, bonnets etc can not be sourced because nanjing do not own the tools for the sub assemblies like latches or catches or flitches etc. And the tooling for bumpers and sill finishers is still in the possesion of the likes of Murplas, who spent a lot of money on tools hoping to recoup the outlay through the mark up on sales.
They can only have a markup if they make the parts to sell!!

It's hardly any wonder MGR went under with suppliers with stupid attitudes like that. :twak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Does that mean nanjing are pressing for the current range eg:- mk1 / mk2 ZS / 45 or just for there own motors to be made.

Download
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
MikeM said:
Whoever told you that is talking out of their proverbial. All major and nearly all minor parts are now available from stock from XPart. Even the hard to get ones are sorted within a couple of weeks. If I was you I would be speaking to your garage. A member here was told recently that a part was not available. He went back and stood over them while they phoned XPart. Surprise surprise it was delivered within days.

Honestly it simply is not true. Let me know if I can help by contacting XPart for you.

Mike :)
disagree. i work in a bodyshop and have seen many rovers/mg comming in and sitting around for months waiting for parts or just being scrapped. most people have never heard of x part and even when they have x part havent got what they need. we are a MGR approved crash repair centre and x-part never even contacted us to say they supply parts!! We have found them very unprofessional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that insurance companies are writing off cars (which they hate doing as it costs a lot of money) and bodyshops are turning away work if there isn't a genuine issue with MGR parts.

Sorry, but it just doesn't stack up. Bodyshops will do just about anything to make a repair look a convincing case to the insurance company.

Insurance companies approve repairs on thousands of cars a day - I just can't take the idea that they have somehow "lost the phone number" of somebody who holds all these MGR parts and would save them a large amount of money seriously.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
Sejin26 said:
I am sorry but X-Part might pull the wool over some people's eye's but not mine. Since 2003 when they took over they have had availability problems and that still remains the case today. Up to the collapse of MG Rover I had daily dealings with X-Part and the situation never changed. My 52 reg 45 has been written off due to rear doors and a rear panel not been available and I have checked this myself. The door skins are but I need the whole door so it's good by 45 hello new 45.
That might be the case, but it's not an XPart issue but an MG Rover and Rover Group issue. There have been parts shortages of panels for at least the past 8 years now, from the time the Rover 75 was introduced by the then Rover Group. 6 month old Rover 800 saloons were being written off because panels weren't available through Unipart who were the part co at the time.

It would appear that Rover/MG Rover are responsible for this situation and not just XPart.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top