Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Deal helps keep medics flying high

By JEANETTE SCOTT [email protected]
378 words
25 March 2005
Coventry Evening Telegraph
English
(c) 2005 Coventry Newspapers Ltd
MG ROVER has signed a partnership deal with the air ambulance service based at Baginton to help keep the life-saving service in the skies for at least three more years.

The car-maker has offered a deal worth nearly £500,000 to the Baginton Airport-based service.

It means MG Rover cars will soon be supporting the airborne crews in Coventry and Warwickshire.

The motoring giant, which has a UK base at Longbridge in Birmingham, has offered rapid response vehicles and all the equipment needed by crews to keep the service going.

Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance, also known as the Diana Princess of Wales Air Ambulance, needs £1.2 million every year to stay in the air.

The crew were called away during the announcement lunch at Coombe Abbey Hotel, for their 1,984th mission.

Coventry and Warwickshire ambulance chief Malcolm Hazell said he was delighted with the partnership and reflected on his early days with the ambulance trust. He said: "When I joined the ambulance service in 1993 we only had what were effectively caravans with engines in the front.

"The response time for a helicopter into Warwickshire was 20 minutes and I frankly thought I had gone back to the Victorian times.

"Now with a take-off time of 40 seconds and speeds of 180 miles per hour we can take the accident and emergency department to the patient.

"There are numerous lives being saved month on month but it takes £100,000 every month and we could only do it through charitable contributions. We have relied on small businesses and members of the public to support us.

"MG Rover is the first major company to offer us any support whatsoever. They are giving us rapid-response cars and all the equipment that the air crew need to provide the service."

Daniel Ward, commercial director of MG Rover, said: "The image of seeing a helicopter go and save a life makes a more powerful statement than one I could make.

"We are delighted to be involved in something as important as this. It"s a service we all want to know is there but never want to use."

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
What cars are they getting? ZT-T?

This is good news for MG Rover because when the reliability of these cars comes to light many other ambulance services and perhaps police forces will buy their cars, and as such the public perception would change because "the emergency services dont buy rubbish!"

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Daniel Ward, commercial director of MG Rover, said: "The image of seeing a helicopter go and save a life makes a more powerful statement than one I could make.
Hmmm...image of seeing a helicopter WITH HUGE ROVER AND MG BADGES ON IT go and save a life makes a more powerful statement than one I could make. might be more accurate..(one hopes anyway) :bgrin:

Sterling effort anyway. good on em.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
smosquito said:
Em... dont get your hopes up Stephen.

If the Deal with SAIC is a true JV partnership, 70/30 SAIC/MG-R and they design and produce the right products anything is possible. I personally believe MG-R as it stands, and SAIC as it stands, will remain seperate entities. Only the Joint Venture will be a true partnership. SAIC will of course own the bigger share of that as they stand to make 3-4 times the amount of cars that MG-R will. If all goes well in 10 yrs MG-R could be a major force again. But then I would say that... I am an optimist!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
If the Deal with SAIC is a true JV partnership, 70/30 SAIC/MG-R and they design and produce the right products anything is possible. I personally believe MG-R as it stands, and SAIC as it stands, will remain seperate entities. Only the Joint Venture will be a true partnership. SAIC will of course own the bigger share of that as they stand to make 3-4 times the amount of cars that MG-R will. If all goes well in 10 yrs MG-R could be a major force again. But then I would say that... I am an optimist!
I've never been accused of being an optimist....but on this I think you could well be right...

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Steve said:
"cars, worth £10,000 each".

I'm guessing they're not ZT-Ts then. MG Express maybe?
But it says "The response cars are worth £40,000 each."
That's probably a ZT-T 260!

Then at the bottom, "On top of that MG Rover is supplying two cars, worth £10,000 each, for fundraisers and another car that is expected to raise £100,000 when raffled."
These would be the ZR, or the Streetwise. Or the Express.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
andy said:
But it says "The response cars are worth £40,000 each."
That's probably a ZT-T 260!

Then at the bottom, "On top of that MG Rover is supplying two cars, worth £10,000 each, for fundraisers and another car that is expected to raise £100,000 when raffled."
These would be the ZR, or the Streetwise. Or the Express.
that'll teach me to not read the whole article. :twak2: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts