Wiltshire

7th April 2005

Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP
Chancellor of the Exchequer
11 Downing Street
London

Re : MG Rover group

Dear Sir,

MG Rover must not be broken up and must be saved. MG Rover is not a lame duck.

Fiscal prudence is good but this time its about 6,000 jobs and local economies and families like your own. This is a drop in the ocean compared to UK spending on Iraq.

Many workers know no other work and the midlands is already becoming an industrial wasteland.

Peugeot have recently laid off 850 workers at Ryton near Coventry and the plants future is in doubt.

Please make the bridging loan of £100 million or if no deal with the Chinese a £100-£150 grant for five years interest free or with interest after that.

The condition is that most of it is spent on the MGR RD60 5 door mid size 45/ZS replacement.

This is a good deal it saves benefit payments and the burden on the local economy. And you’ll get it back I’m sure. The design is all but signed off and production could be within 12-18 moths.

The phoenix management have done well. Yes they’ve had rewards but they’ve worked very hard indeed. They are Enthusiasts and have the backing of most owners and the owners clubs.

Like many MGR have been affected by a down turn in the car market. People are understandably cautious at present. High street sales have fallen and there is concern about the housing market justifiable or otherwise. To be frank I’m not that SAIC have been the easiest people to deal with.

Sales of nearly all makes have reduced markedly in recent months. The media coverage of MGR has also been totally unhelpful in further undermining the business. It seems almost like a ‘witch hunt British style’ which to be frank would not happen in patriotic proud nations like Germany or France. Churchill and Bevan would turn in their graves.

MG Rover have year on year been reducing their loss making business and this years is low in comparison to many motor industry companies. The MGR management have brought us new models in the shape of the MG Z cars, The MG ZT 260 V8, Rover V8 and the carbon fibre Anglo-Italian supercar the MG SV.

6,000 manufacturing jobs and 50,000 in parts supply do not grow on trees.

Please help save them.

Recent Auto express : Driver power survey 2005 out of 100.

MG ZT 15th above Mazda Rx-8, Hinda CR-V, Porches Boxster, Volvo V70
MG ZS 25th above Saab 9-5 , Audi A3
Rover 75 33rd above Toyoa Corolla, Toyota Avenis,
MG ZR 75th
Rover 45 76th
Rover 25 85th

Newer cars have done very well as you can see.

We have as a country lost one million manufacturing jobs in the last eight years. 91,000 last year. Yes this is due to competition etc but also be because of the free open economy here, which sometimes leaves us open to exploitation by big business. Asset strippers are a particular problem.

Britain needs manufacturing, it needs the exports and this company I know will turn it around. The 45/ZS (RD60) development promises to be a ‘world-beater’ of the magnitude of the BMW 1 series/VW Golf.

The engineers have done a great job, the stylists and workers.

Please help maintain our heritage, an icon and a very big and important employer. It has the potential of a big export earner please do all you can do help them and I call on the government to make this injection of cash. It will be re-paid. This is not a romanticism its fact brought about by knowing the interest in the company, which still exists and the background to the RD60 project.

I am political but over the years tended more towards labour than the opposition.

I can assure you, if MG Rover go down, I won’t vote for you.

Thank you

Derek Robbins
Rover 75 owner
MGF owner

·
Registered
mg_zs
358 Posts
delboy said:
Please make the bridging loan of £100 million or if no deal with the Chinese a £100-£150 grant for five years interest free or with interest after that.
Good letter!

If you have not sent it off yet it may be worth adding the word 'million' after asking for £100-£150 grant!

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
hillwalker said:
Good letter!

If you have not sent it off yet it may be worth adding the word 'million' after asking for £100-£150 grant!
If thats all thats needed, i will stump up 150 quid :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is my 1st post in a few years but I had to point out that in your letter (which is excellent) there is no mention of the Dealer Network in the UK and worldwide with THOUSANDS of jobs at stake..

Many of these dealers have been amazingly loyal and supportive of MG Rover, and before anyone says it, no its not been for profit, in most cases I believe car dealers just about make ends meet, its only the REALLY big boys who make the fortunes of the past these days.

There are 270 UK dealers in a precarious position, these people need recognition and support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts