MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Although familiar with the MG forum I'm new to the MGF area! Just acquired a 2000 VVC MGF from a friend of a friend. 93,000 miles. Non-runner, no MOT.

Here's the story. After popping out to the shops last November the car wouldn't re-start. Apparently re-starting the car was being an intermittent chore. This time it refused to start. After being recovered it was garaged and left. One tow truck later and its now on my drive!

Battery was knackered. Replaced that with a new one and tried to start it. After a few splutters it started okay. Obviously a bit rough but it soon settled down. I then left the car for a week and fixed a few obvious MOT issues. Tonight I tried starting it again. First time starter!

I then tried switching off and restarting to see what would happen. Wouldn't restart. Engine turns over fine but only a vague hint that there is any life there. Tried full throttle, half throttle, no throttle. Won't fire. Left it 15 minutes but still no luck.

Other info. Can hear the full pump prime but not every time I put the key in. Is that normal? When running idle was a bit weird. Would stay high and drift back to normal slowly. What would cause an MGF not to start when hot? Any common problems? Anything I can test/try? Happy to get my hands dirty. As there is no MOT I can't take it to a garage. Feeling stranded. Help!!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hi. Although familiar with the MG forum I'm new to the MGF area! Just acquired a 2000 VVC MGF from a friend of a friend. 93,000 miles. Non-runner, no MOT.

Here's the story. After popping out to the shops last November the car wouldn't re-start. Apparently re-starting the car was being an intermittent chore. This time it refused to start. After being recovered it was garaged and left. One tow truck later and its now on my drive!

Battery was knackered. Replaced that with a new one and tried to start it. After a few splutters it started okay. Obviously a bit rough but it soon settled down. I then left the car for a week and fixed a few obvious MOT issues. Tonight I tried starting it again. First time starter!

I then tried switching off and restarting to see what would happen. Wouldn't restart. Engine turns over fine but only a vague hint that there is any life there. Tried full throttle, half throttle, no throttle. Won't fire. Left it 15 minutes but still no luck.

Other info. Can hear the full pump prime but not every time I put the key in. Is that normal? When running idle was a bit weird. Would stay high and drift back to normal slowly. What would cause an MGF not to start when hot? Any common problems? Anything I can test/try? Happy to get my hands dirty. As there is no MOT I can't take it to a garage. Feeling stranded. Help!!
When it turns over but wont start check for a spark, if your getting a spark could possibly be fuel related.

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
Assuming that the car is upto date on servicing etc (fuel filter, air filter etc) I would guess at the cold starting. Have a look at the water temp sensor as the car may think it is still cold and be overfueling when hot.

Also worth checking plugs, leads & dizzy (if you have one). If you do have them then the dizzy and rotor arm can break down when hot. Worth changing for the price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! Water temp sensor? Doesn't sound expensive so that is good! Strange thing. When the engine was running I get the impression it would have run and run. Is the temp sensor consistent with that? I.e. only affects starting but once running it has no effect.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks for the help! Water temp sensor? Doesn't sound expensive so that is good! Strange thing. When the engine was running I get the impression it would have run and run. Is the temp sensor consistent with that? I.e. only affects starting but once running it has no effect.
Yes it is. The car will run fine until warm, then stops and won;t restart. I fhad this problem on mine and actually found it was only a loose connection to the water temp sensor.

Try disconnecting it, cleaning the connectors and then firmly reconnecting it. Try the car and if that doesn't work, buy a new one for about 20quid and replace it.
All good and a very easy thing to do.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
hi may be of some use but had this fault yeas ago on a capri 2.8. turned out to be pitted connectors on the fuel pump relay sometimes not contacting . a strip and clean of the relay contacts cured it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
  1. Hi, first time I've posted here. Been reading the tips and tricks of the various leg ends on here to much avail. So although these posts all seem quite old I'd like to restart this one. Excuse the pun.
  2. I bought a 99 vvc Mgf 3months ago. Was very happy with the way it started on 1st turn of key. No throttle. Last week I did a 1500 mile round trip to France. The second time I refueled I struggled to restart the engine but got it to catch in the end. This happened several times though mostly it started normally. Now I'm back it's a regular occurrence and now battery on charge. There was always a stink of fuel when it wouldn't start. I've heard talk of water pump sensors. Where to find it any other advice much appreciated.
  3. Regards Chris

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,928 Posts
I think it would be worth changing the coolant temperature sensor, you need to make sure you get the correct one as there are two, one for the ECU and one for the gauge. It’s quite a simple change as the sensor is at the top of the engine and providing you are quick you should have any loss of coolant.

Number 47 MGF and MG TF Engine Sensors - VVC | Rimmer Bros although you will need your vin number to determine the correct one

·
Registered
mg_tf
63 Posts
Camshaft position sensor - Had similar issues with my TF vvc last year.
Always started when cold, would fail when hot and then refuse to start for a couple of hours.
Took a lot of hair pulling and 3 calls to the RAC for a tow home before I solved the problem.
Read about freezing the cam sensor on another forum, replaced mine (easy and quick job) and it's been fine for the last 1.5k miles.
B

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it would be worth changing the coolant temperature sensor, you need to make sure you get the correct one as there are two, one for the ECU and one for the gauge. It’s quite a simple change as the sensor is at the top of the engine and providing you are quick you should have any loss of coolant.

Number 47 MGF and MG TF Engine Sensors - VVC | Rimmer Bros although you will need your vin number to determine the correct one
Thanks Chris. Much appreciated ?
My temperature gauge on the dash is always consistent. Still the one at top of engine? Hope to find one tomorrow as I resume work on Monday. It's too far for walking.
Camshaft position sensor - Had similar issues with my TF vvc last year.
Always started when cold, would fail when hot and then refuse to start for a couple of hours.
Took a lot of hair pulling and 3 calls to the RAC for a tow home before I solved the problem.
Read about freezing the cam sensor on another forum, replaced mine (easy and quick job) and it's been fine for the last 1.5k miles.
B
Nice one Bagley.
I think the answer is to get my hands dirty and replace all the sensors. This one was an insurance salvage back 2009 and I recon it's been quite neglected since.
Don't you just love restoration job??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts