MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Back again. My mgf that I did head gasket on a week ago now won’t start, doesn’t even fire. Had this problem when I first put it back together last weekend. Ended up being low petrol in tank put in another gallon and it started straight away. I have been starting it for a couple of minutes each day this week then yesterday all of a sudden she won’t start. Added 2 more gallons of petrol checked distributor , ht leads , cleaned plugs. There is pressure in the fuel tank as after trying to start it then opening cap you hear air rush in. Tried fuel cut of switch, tried spare set of key with key fob. Tried some easy start and it didn’t fire with that. Checked cambelt and timing is lined upped in case belt slipped. Locked and unlocked car with fob. This car is driving me nuts.

Thinking getting new plugs, then new distr cap then leads also fuel filter.

All will take 4 or so days to get here.

Also just notice drivers door lock might have beenglued as key won’t go in so resetting the immobiliser with the key is a no go,

Any ideas what might be the issue?

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Hi mhack,

I'm thinking compression.

If you have gone through everything you can think of i.e. everything plug in from crank sensor, cam sensor, throttle position, air sensor, lambo etc.

You said earlier that you had spark are the ht's in the correct order.

What does the starter sound like, does it sound constant or does it sound like its fast then slow.

What made you change the head gasket?

What head gasket did you use and did you research into which gasket to use?

We all feel for you and don't lose hope.

Mikey

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
mgf
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mikey

Leads are in right order as they only fit one way and I labelled them anyway. I bought mls gasket and new bolts as it already had one fitted previously before one of the previous owner put radweld or similiar in it previously which then caused blockages and air locks and overheating. I bought it like this a year ago and have intermittent overheating since I got it (previous thread on here called intermittent overheating) I did research what gasket and chose mls again. Car has been running all week each day just to start it. Car only has 61000 miles and I have only manage 1000 miles in a year as it’s been one problem after another. Head has just been skimmed and pressure tested as well. Thinking it could be fuel filter? Starter motor turns over fine just doesn’t fire even with easy start.

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Hi,

Did you replace the thermostat?

Last year I brought/saved a beautiful example of a zt, but had a ton of previous owner problems. I'm taking my time and working through each one. The number one cause of all the engine issues the previous owner had and not fixed was the thermostat.

He gave up after fitting the wrong gasket and then almost destroying it when it overheated on him again.

If he had just replaced the thermostat when it started to overheat the first time, he'd probably didn't need to replace the HG.

Also it was leaking in like a sieve everywhere, duck pond in the boot. That was also pissing him off.

Anyways

Did you follow the 4thou rule for the HG?

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Luke your probably right I'm over think it.

Hope it's just a fuelling issue.

What's are the chances on 61000 that the fuel pump going?

·
Registered
mgf
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi death dog and Luke you have both helped previously.

Just ordered new fuel filter as I don’t know when it was last changed in case it sucked up crap as it only had quarter of tank and been sitting 5 weeks. Fuel pump is working as I hear it when I put keys in ignition. The issue last week was the same until after deathdogs suggestion I put more fuel in and it started straight away. Thermostat is 82c degree one I fitted as soon as I bought car as it sometimes had movement above normal on temp gauge. Should the fuel tank pressurise? When I undo fuel cap big rush of air. Father in law suggested that’s. a blockage?

One thing I thought I mention that I didn’t mention was that after starting it each last week Friday it chucked down all day and car was sitting outside and then the day after it wouldn’t start. I have just taken distr cap and leads off and bought them indoors in case they are damp maybe. Also bought a set of silicon leads as one of the leads the top is coming off.

Oh no what’s the 4 thou rule? Don’t know that?

·
Registered
rover_75
9 Posts
Hi, I wouldn't worry about it until you know you have fuel coming through.

But FYI.

The latest consensus is that the cylinder liners need to be over 4thou above the deck and level to use the MLS. Below 4thou you use the elastomer gasket.

Mikey

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
719 Posts
How long did you leave the car running when you did have it running? If you were able to start the car several times, then I wouldn't think it would be dist cap, rotor or spark plug leads. Maybe dirty spark plug from shorts runs at idle. Maybe fuel filter because of dirt from the bottom of the tank. Could it be that the battery is weak? Just some guesses from 3700 mi away.

·
Registered
mgf
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi Mowog

originally after i did head gasket it wouldnt start, wouldnt fire, i went thru anything even took cam cover off check cyclinder one when at ignition spark via rotor arm position 1 and also that valves were shut, checked timing belt etc, then deathdog mentioned petrol, it only had just over quarter of tank, been sitting since coronavirus locked us all down 5 weeks ago hence i thought perfect time to do the headgasket. anyway followed deathdogs advice and put extra gallon of petrol in and it started first thing, left it running until it warmed up to check everything, bled air etc from cooling system,.
started each day for 2 or 3 minutes as not intending using it as i still have a couple of jobs to do on it (low coolant warning/ extra digital temp gauge install), then after heavy rain friday wont start, have ordered fuel filter and new silicon ht leads just waiting on royal mail to deliver, hopefully its just fuel filter. will either update or will be asking for more advice/ideas :)

cheers

·
Registered
mgf
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone

New fuel filter arrived just now. Fitted in 10 minutes and she started straight away.

Hopefully that’s it for a while.

Have a good weekend with your mg.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts