MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would say yes, they could damage the alloy.
according to a clever friend of mine, it's not so much damage to the alloy - but they will come loose over time as they are not seated correctly.

he also says they would be fine on steelies though, as steel is more malleable.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
That sounds much better. Won't damage the alloys but the wheels may drop off. There was an earlier thread with a warning about the correct coning for wheel nuts.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I replaced those of our F some years ago with (I think) a set from a Ford. They are stainless steel, look smaller but do the job perfectly (well tested by now).

Regarding the OEM.... the design is just perfect.... as always: design = look OK, don't function at all. ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but my nuts are bad too and looking at the pic mauricei posted, we have exactly the same ones at our workplace and we sell them for £1 a piece. Would they be ok?

If so, im doing some spending tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have just ordered a set of 5306FSP from Mister T

These are M12 x 1.5 with 35mm (1.38") depth and 19mm (3/4") hex

Price is £1 each plus £5 postage so my set of 16 is £21 delivered. I wasn't expecting them to reply to an email enquiry at 8pm but they did!

·
Registered
mgf
325 Posts
I have just ordered a set of 5306FSP from Mister T

These are M12 x 1.5 with 35mm (1.38") depth and 19mm (3/4") hex

Price is £1 each plus £5 postage so my set of 16 is £21 delivered. I wasn't expecting them to reply to an email enquiry at 8pm but they did!
I guess he had "NUTZ 4 U" then! I'm after some as well so will await people's experience!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of them on my car. Sorry for the grotty state of them, I am planning to clean the car on Saturday before going on a club outing on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My nuts were delivered this morning. Here are photos with an OEM nut for comparison.

Although they are shorter and slimmer than the OEM ones, they seem to be a perfect fit. I've just driven to Harrogate and back with them on and had no problems, anyway!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Perhaps you've just found an economical answer to this plague of flaky nuts.

Keep us updated. With news of any wheels that fall off, etc ;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts