MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had enough of chewing off the existing nuts which have to be one of the worst pieces of car design i've ever encountered. Had a look at Mike Satur ones but don't want to pay moon money for them, £20-30 for 16 would be ideal.

Rimmer Bros have them but are these the same as the original ones with the daft caps that bend into incomprehensible shapes or just simple nuts that don't deform after looking at them hard?

Any other suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but the Mike Satur one's were the best I could find, yes they were expensive, but they are very well made, and look good too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for the replies

Probably not what you want to hear, but the Mike Satur one's were the best I could find, yes they were expensive, but they are very well made, and look good too.
**** it will probably just go for them then. will just fit standard bushed drop links to compensate.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I've just received a set of Honda stainless steel wheel nuts as replacements. Apparently they should fit - will let you know. Only cost £11 inclusive of delivery.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It was a private auction on eBay.

The nuts are the same dimensions as the Honda ones apparently... thread size 12mm x 1.5mm, 30mm long.

I'm not sure how they will look yet, but like Sharpie I was sick of messing about with the rubbish OEM ones. Maybe I'll put them on this afternoon and take a pic :)

These seem to be the cheapest set going atm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I
I'm not sure how they will look yet, but like Sharpie I was sick of messing about with the rubbish OEM ones. Maybe I'll put them on this afternoon and take a pic :)
if honda ones definitely fit then let me know please. i will order some tonight because mike satur ones are like £70 for 16, the rimmer bros ones were priced at £7 each rather than in 4s which i assumed so that's silly money too.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I got a replacement set, apparently stainless, off ebay years ago. Think it was about £16-18 all in. Though can't remember who I got them off though all these years on!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
They're on!

Here be pictures of the dirty old wheel nuts, on a very dirty wheel, taken by an even dirtier man...

And here be the shiny, clean new wheel nuts on a slightly less dirty wheel, but still taken by the same dirty man.

Comparing old with new:

To answer your question, Pete, they are tapered, but not to the same extent (the original taper - the "captive washer" - extends beyond the width of the body of the nut). There is therefore less of the nut pressing the wheel onto the hub, but plenty to keep it on. I think. I'll let you know if any wheels fall off.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts