MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

Im a newbie on the forum and Im looking for some help with an Idle problem Im having with my 1998 MGF VVC.

The problem is the car wont idle properly. To start the car I have to have the acelerator to the floor. If Im lucky I can leave my driveway without high revving and kangeroo hops up the road. Once driving the car behaves. However when approaching junctions the car will just splutter to a halt or will dive way under 850rpm and recover just enough to keep the car running. The car went in for an MOT and to have the Idle issue sorted at my local garage. They cannot find the reason for idle problems and the car failed its MOT as the emmisions are running sky high. They have suggested it could be a fault with a sensor or the ecu which will need a dealer to look at.

Has anyone come accross this problem before? Any help is welcomed before the dealer takes a chunk of my hard earned savings!

Many Thanks

Spencer

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Does indeed sound like a fault with the sensor or engine management system (MEMS). If you are reasonably DIY minded you can buy some contact cleaner (from Halfrauds or similar) and go over the engine cleaning up the electrical multiplugs to the sensors you can find and the same for the MEMS. Likewise you can dismantle the IACV (stepper motor) and clean this out with some Greygate plastic polish or similar.

From your description though it does sound a bit more serious than just a clean up job - particularly the starting issue, sounds more sensor or MEMS related than poor electrical connections. But cleaning them up can't hurt and it may cure the problem.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Andy's too eager to sort your problem (he is the F'ing God here), and the mod is missing AGAIN, so I'll welcome you spence - Welcome to the asylum mate, we are a very friendly if mad (some more than others - beware Spike!) group :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Andy,

Just got off the phone from the service dept of my local mg dealer. He reckons it sounds like a problem with the VVC but cant check it out until next Weds! Sounds expensive to fix! Im hoping not

Ill just have to rev the nuts off it everytime I leave a set of traffic lights which is getting highly embrassing!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Showing my ignorance a bit here. Does the VVC still have a distributor?

Many years ago I had the exact same problem with my Mini. It turned out to be a dodgy alternator and a loose distributor. I tightened the Dizzy and turned it back to roughly the right place and that pretty much sorted it.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Not sure Phil, the MPi does, but the VVC - no idea - let me think about this...

...Given that the VVC controls the timing of the breathing, it is logical to assume that the spark is also controlled to coincide with the valve durations - therefore a mechanical dizzy is unlikely as the spark is at a fixed point in the cycle and cannot be altered (other than by speeding up / slowing down the rotor arm) - seems a pretty crude solution. Therefore i would presume the VVC has a direct ignition (as do the TF engines, all specs) because the MEMS is then in direct control of the timing of the spark and can adjust it to suit the variable valve timing...

OK, so my best guess is that the MPi (early models) does have a dizzy (i have one on Scarlet i'm pretty sure), and the VVC doesn't.

Anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
OK, so my best guess is that the MPi (early models) does have a dizzy (i have one on Scarlet i'm pretty sure), and the VVC doesn't.

Anyone confirm this?
Andy I've got an mpi as yrself but after taking a good look at the workshop manual I can confirm that your reasoning is good and that u r once again right !! ;) ......What is the url of the 'Scarlet Fever' personal site Andy ??

Cheers

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
I have two sites, one is my personal one (which has never been finished properly and is terribly out of date now - my fumblings with Frontpage were not entirely successful! Still there is quite a lot of relevant MGF stuff on there, even by today's standards.) and the other is the SOS site, set up to chart the rebuild of the car following the accident in 2003 (also a couple of years out of date now).

Here are the URLs...

>> http://www.hometown.aol.com/ap1000000 << (the URL from hell! :lol: )

and

>> http://www.sfforever.co.uk <<

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
:lol: To be honest it's probably an AOL thing - bleedin' AOL, drives me up the wall sometimes, but from my point of view it's free (company pays) so i can't complain really.

Actually, a lot of the problems with my site are down to AOL, broken links, missing images etc. Works fine on my PC at home, but when i transfer it to AOLs servers all the problems appear (and they are different each time i upload it - freaky!) In the end i just gave up, far too much to say, far too little time to spend p*ssballing around being a mediator between Frontpage and AOL. :lol:

I am supposed to be updating the SOS site at the moment, but i am having real problems finding the time. It's quite embarrassing really as i promised i'd get it done in September last year, it's now March and i haven't really made any significant progress.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Loaky said:
Pete, i'm running firefox myself and all I saw was a black nothing, scroll to the right, about a mile or so, and the page is there! :lol:
oh yes, never saw the scroll bar at the bottom. That'll be something to do with frames I should think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VVC Idle Problem solved

To anyone interested,

The Idle problem with the VVC was solved by my local dealer with just an hours labour. It was a stuck VVC plunger which was causing the emissions to be higher than Concorde and to idle anywhere between 0 and 3000 RPM.

Spence

1 - 19 of 19 Posts