MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I removed the VVC engine from my MGF I loosened the unit shown in the photo below - think its the VVC hydraulic unit?

Jury-rigged the starter the other day and as I turned the engine over oil came out of the VVC hydruailc unit and poured through the inlet manifold port into the end cyclinder.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Gas

Ran a compression test today (other three cylinders first, each around 240psi) and when I tested this cylinder the guage went off the scale and bent the needle!

I presume that this is because there is still oil in that cylinder and I am wondering whether I need to get it out before putting the engine back-in and running it?

Grateful for some advive.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,073 Posts
The oil will give a better seal around the rings and the bores which would give a better compression, if you've concerns flush with a little petrol which will thin the oil around the bores and rings and clear the bores of the oil...turn engine over a good few times without plugs in to get the oil/petrol to clear then try again. Don't think there is a lot else you could try (may be wrong), Although the petrol will wash the bores removing the oil, which in itself is not a good thing as oil is required to lubricate the pistons and cylinders, with the oil currently in the bores its not likely to be an issue especially as with the plugs out there will be no load on the engine

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I removed the VVC engine from my MGF I loosened the unit shown in the photo below - think its the VVC hydraulic unit?

Jury-rigged the starter the other day and as I turned the engine over oil came out of the VVC hydruailc unit and poured through the inlet manifold port into the end cyclinder.
View attachment 138012

Ran a compression test today (other three cylinders first, each around 240psi) and when I tested this cylinder the guage went off the scale and bent the needle!

I presume that this is because there is still oil in that cylinder and I am wondering whether I need to get it out before putting the engine back-in and running it?

Grateful for some advive.
Hi, as Dert said but I would wait until engine is reinstalled and ready to fire up then add a little petrol via plug hole, turn engine over a couple of times replace plugs and start the engine. Any oil left will then burn off and exit via the exhaust in a cloud of blue smoke. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
259 Posts
I don't own a VVC but I thought I saw/read somewhere that removing the hydraulic unit was not advisable as timing it back up is faff, or did I dream it?
Regarding the oil as the engine is out can't you just up end to drain or is it still bolted to the box/subframe.

·
Registered
rover_45
590 Posts
Given time the oil will escape past the piston rings with no action from you. When you have the engine reinstalled crank it for several seconds with the spark plugs removed (& the plug holes covered with a cloth) which will eject any excess oil from the cylinders.

Putting petrol directly into the cylinders does not seem like a good idea to me (unless you are wanting to rev the engine before it has built up any oil pressure).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts