MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to forums (quite new to MGs too). Wondering if anyone can help: I live in London, W14, I had an accident recently in my MGF that's sent the tracking out. I've tried several garages so far - some can't help, and kwik fit say the car needs a special weight inside the car to set it correctly, but weren't able to recommend other garages. Does anyone have any advice on somewhere suitable in my area? Thanks. Daniel

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
have you been to any garages which have the hi-Q sign on there fore court , i don't know about by you but in my area [midlands] the hi-Q garages are the better ones to go to oh and by the way welcome to the forum happy reading

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Hello! I'm new to forums (quite new to MGs too). Wondering if anyone can help: I live in London, W14, I had an accident recently in my MGF that's sent the tracking out. I've tried several garages so far - some can't help, and kwik fit say the car needs a special weight inside the car to set it correctly, but weren't able to recommend other garages. Does anyone have any advice on somewhere suitable in my area? Thanks. Daniel
I know its a bit of a trek but I wholeheartedly recommend Elite in Rainham Essex, they have one of the most up to date electronic geometry set up systems around.

The journey along the Embankment through the Limehouse link and along the A13 should not take more than 3/4's of an hour, traffic permitting!

http://www.bestwheelsandtyres.co.uk/06a-alignment/index.html

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
sounds like a load of bull to me, the tracking is the same as any other car that needs a four wheel alignment as long it hasn't been lowered.

I used to live in Reading and used Central Tyre, if you have a local one then they have the laser systems in place. But I then tended to use Wheelgame in Tadley, Hants. They are always setting up F's/TF's due to MG garage not far away.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I always use Rpaid Fit (Ford franchise Kwik Fit style place) for anything to do with my wheels or tyres, they're the only place that have shown 100% competence in my experience, they've even managed to fix the bad work that ATS did to my car, free of charge! :)

The one that I use is in Durham so obviously about 200 miles too far for you, but I would hope that other branches are fairly good too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. Stuart is right! That is a lot of bull, I use Kwik Fit in Kettering (not meant as a suggestion :lol: ) so maybe have a word with the manager if you haven't already?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
When you have your tracking done, should you specify any particular settings?

Micheldever tyres did my tracking last April, and accroding to the notes set it as 'TF base model'.

I had the tracking re-checked in October at Thomas Day in Fleet, and they reset the front wheels (from memory, they set the toe-in - maybe - to 0 degrees - I can't find the service sheet...). That felt a lot looser and faster.

At the time, someone, possibly Pete, directed me to a site that ran through all variations of alignement, which seemed to conclude that 0 degrees was best for general toddling about.

Just pondering...

mikef

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Tracking

Tracking can be done at any good garage, Had My MGTF Tracking done recently when it had its first MOT at local garage only £19.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
When you have your tracking done, should you specify any particular settings?

Micheldever tyres did my tracking last April, and accroding to the notes set it as 'TF base model'.

I had the tracking re-checked in October at Thomas Day in Fleet, and they reset the front wheels (from memory, they set the toe-in - maybe - to 0 degrees - I can't find the service sheet...). That felt a lot looser and faster.

At the time, someone, possibly Pete, directed me to a site that ran through all variations of alignement, which seemed to conclude that 0 degrees was best for general toddling about.

Just pondering...

mikef
I've not heard of different tracking settings for the TF, although Techspeed may have their own setup for best handling solutions??

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
HI SMB, it was the link mentioned by Herbie above....right at the bottom of one of the pages it mentions the TF and says 0 degrees is a general best option...

cheers

mikef

1 - 15 of 15 Posts