MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to increase the BHP by tweeking the ECU as I've seen done on TV with some car programmes as Wheeler Dealers.
Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it possible to increase the BHP by tweeking the ECU as I've seen done on TV with some car programmes as Wheeler Dealers.
Cheers
Richard
You can have the ECU remapped to increase performance. Kmaps is a company that can do this and it is run by the former MG Rover Engineer who worked on the original ECU mapping programme. I have had my TF135 Spark ECU remapped by him and found it to increase performance, torque and fuel efficiency.
Well worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Katrew
Very helpful I'll make enquiries to have it done. don't suppose you could give an idea of the cost?
Cheers
R.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just curious -
You can have the ECU remapped to increase performance. Kmaps is a company that can do this and it is run by the former MG Rover Engineer who worked on the original ECU mapping programme. I have had my TF135 Spark ECU remapped by him and found it to increase performance, torque and fuel efficiency.
Well worth it in my opinion
Just curious - If an ex MG Rover Engineer who worked on the original ECU mapping programme, why did Rover not do what he has done? It seems too good to be true in that all three key metrics are better - normally there is some trade-off - in this instance, you are suggesting 'gains at no cost (ignoring the cost of the remapping...)'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's just trying to help.
I thought this was a friendly forum not a debating chamber.......frankly please don't get involved if not being helpful.
Reply if you wish I won't
R.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't (or didn't) manufacturers program their ecus for all fuel grades worldwide thus giving re-programmers the ability to adjust the electronic parameters specifically for local/UK fuel RON grades? Also the ability to 'lean-off' or enrich some continuous engine revs such as motorway cruising, or increase the max revs etc, etc. I know you can 'fool' some turbo ecu maps into giving enriched or leaner mixtures for performance or economy improvements.

Our later F/TF ecus can also be un-programmed too; I understand the Pektron ecus can have the 'double-lock' facility switched off, also the unique recognition code so that they can be 'stand-alone' units: You can either send your ecu to be modified or buy a 'stand-alone' unit keeping your original as a spare, for example. In addition firms like KMaps, Technozen etc (there are others...) can extract EKA codes if the original data is lost.

·
Registered
267 Posts
...and my own experience of a KMaps unit started when I used 'TorquePro' on my newly-bought (Chinese MGMotors) TF135 and it logged a fault - "Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error' - as well as going like a sick pig, sticking throttle cable, binding brakes, high tick-over and the cooling fan seeming to operate continuously...
Of course, I found the plug gaps were set randomly, air-filter wheezing, front calipers almost seized and I replaced the engine coolant temp sensor (not the display), oil temp sensor, throttle cable etc - but to no avail. Finally Technozen (at no cost, bless him) verified the ecu was faulty but wasn't able to access the Chinese version to diagnose further. He told me that if I replaced the ecu it'd normally have to be 'synchronised', but a stand-alone was an alternative that wouldn't need to be resync'd.
End result? I bought a stand-alone KMaps then later decided to send my original unit in for a p/ex refund. It would have been better/less costly if I'd made the p/ex part of the original package tho' :(. The only consolation was that the remapped ecu was a recycled non-Chinese (MGRover) version which are, apparently, electronically sturdier and I was pleased to get a small refund for the scrappy old unit. The TF-dealer contributed a proportion, too :)...

Problem solved and TF was back to rude health :). It goes well and I'm pleased with the replacement; it's now a pleasure to drive - it certainly improved the sick running + disastrous mpg - but I can't tell how much better it is since I p/ex'd from a healthy 1.6 to a very sick 1.8. It certainly has noticeably more torque and 'driveability' ;)

Long story, I know, but I hope someone might benefit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was also taken in by the re-map idea when the option came up.
Saw an advert at my local garage and went for it.
I paid £280 for engine clean and ECU re-map, about 2 months ago.
I haven't felt a difference in power to be honest.
The fuel efficiency seems to have improved, though i didn't have the car for very long before i had this done.
I am hundreds of miles from these KMaps lot, so had it done by a chap down in the south west.
I wish i hadn't bothered to be honest.
Just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the heads up .... I'm still wondering whether to bother...got MOT in September so I'm concentrating on that at present.......MOT's are like going to the dentist YUK!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts