MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had my brakes discs and pads replaced about two months ago, ever since then the brakes have been squeaky. Now I suspect this is just part of having new discs and pads and I keep meaning to take it back to KwikFit for them to sort it out.
But in the last week I've noticed a sqeauky wheel on the right hand side. It appears to happen when i turn left, more so if i turn left sharply. I have also noticed the sound a couple of times when going in a straight line.

I should probably take it to kwikfit, but i would like to diagnose the problem first so they don't try and stitch me up and cover their own mistakes.

Cheers :)

Leigh

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Leigh,

Couple of questions for you first.

1 ) Standard MGF brakes? (No upgrades?)
2 ) What did they do? (pads only (all of them?), discs only (all of them?), pads and discs (all of them?))

I ask because the rear pads have a metal bar attached to them that as the pad wears down comes into contact with the disc making a squeal (on purpose - it's a wear indicator, to let youknow they need changing). It occurs to me that whoever did your brakes may not have actually changed the pads.

If you have the big 4 pot calipers on the front wheels (massive discs + big red calipers with MG embossed on them) then they are known to squeal from time to time - this is caused by a build up of dust and other than regular cleaning (dismantle partially and wire brush) there is little you can do about it as far as i am aware.

Oh, and welcome to the forum (from a fellow Essex guy (near Stansted Airport))

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scarlet,

1) Yes they are standard MGF brakes
2) I had just the front brake pads and discs replaced, the rear discs did not need doing at the time. I had the work done by kwikfit.

As far as I can tell all the squeaking is coming from the front of the car (I could be wrong, its always a pain in the bum trying to locate a recurring sound).
Thanks for the info, I will take a look as to what calipers are actually fitted.

(Reading over my first post, I really should have included more info) :)

Thank you for the welcome, I live in Billericay (in between chelmsford and Basildon). I will probably be posting quite a lot over the next few days or so. I'm trying to tie up all the annoying things with my MGF. I'm looking to sell at, and upgrade to a newer model. ;)

Mine is a standard 98 R 1.8i. I'm looking to buy 2001 VVC, I did consider buying a TF but after driving one for a week or so (115) I must admit I prefere the MGF.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
If you have the big 4 pot calipers on the front wheels (massive discs + big red calipers with MG embossed on them) then they are known to squeal from time to time - this is caused by a build up of dust and other than regular cleaning (dismantle partially and wire brush) there is little you can do about it as far as i am aware.
I have those and the front left one is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard about a paste to apply......what do you think?????

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
PERRY-MGTF said:
I have those and the front left one is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard about a paste to apply......what do you think?????
Almond paste will have very limited effect.

White grease on the disks will have a TOTAL effect.

A thin smear of copperslip (or copperease, a copper based grease) on the BACK of the pads where the pistons touch is a good idea. After removing all existing dust and dirt from the caliper and around the pads.

My motorbike mechanic uses an airline with a small nozzle to clean calipers, pads and pistons; I use a tooth brush and a spray of brake cleaner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PERRY-MGTF said:
On what grounds????????????????!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know really, I prefered the softer MGF ride and the overall feel. Probably 99% of people will say they prefer the MGTF, but for some reason I just like the MGF more....
Also the price difference.

Its just weighing up all the pro's and con's, and its only a "personal" opinion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good god, it's like a sixth sense or something!! I just got off the phone to my MG dealer because of the same problem. Squeaky front brake. It hasn't done it for 2 years, and now it's started and is really REALLY annoying!! They say it is to do with the brakes glazing over? And not bedding in properly? They say I need to brake harder in order to take off the glaze. They are suggesting I try a different brake pad, a softer one?

But If you guys have a better idea?

I have an MGTF 135 with Sports pack 2 (ABS), and 16inch wheels. In case the spec makes any difference?

What's this I hear about a paste?

Oh, and sorry I haven't been around for a while. I guess that's the thing with these forums a lot of us only tend to pop back when there is a problem with the car, not to say how much fun it is!!!

M

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
essexguy said:
Hi Scarlet,

Mine is a standard 98 R 1.8i. I'm looking to buy 2001 VVC, I did consider buying a TF but after driving one for a week or so (115) I must admit I prefere the MGF.
I had a 99 1.8 but as soon i test drove the TF (135) i couldnt wait to ditch the F, i found the whole driving experience so much better and different i couldnt believe it! Anyway we all have diff likes, have you seen a new one yet?
Welcome by the way!!:)

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
microfish said:
Good god, it's like a sixth sense or something!! I just got off the phone to my MG dealer because of the same problem. Squeaky front brake. It hasn't done it for 2 years, and now it's started and is really REALLY annoying!! They say it is to do with the brakes glazing over? And not bedding in properly? They say I need to brake harder in order to take off the glaze. They are suggesting I try a different brake pad, a softer one?

But If you guys have a better idea?

I have an MGTF 135 with Sports pack 2 (ABS), and 16inch wheels. In case the spec makes any difference?

M
Did Sport pack 2 include the Red AP Racing Calipers and big disks? they can make a noise and, ideally, need cleaning a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
I'm with you on this one Leigh - TF doesn't press as many of my buttons as the F does - just a preference thing. :)

A 1998 1.8i will have normal brakes unless they have been upgraded (by yourself, or a previous owner maybe?) In which case it is unlikely to be the same problem the big AP 4 pots suffer from, which leaves me a bit puzzled. Brake squeals are normally either the 4 pots at the front, or the wear indicators at the rear - very odd.

What about performance? Are they working well enough? Does the car pull when they are applied (could indicate a binding pad).

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Sprinter said:
Did Sport pack 2 include the Red AP Racing Calipers and big disks? they can make a noise and, ideally, need cleaning a couple of times a year.
Mine dont make a noise......yet, is this something ive got to look forward to in the future???:sad2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sprinter said:
Yep I've got the big red calipers. I've just had a serivice, and then took it back for the pads to be deglazed, and it still is doing it!! Should I do the old copper grease thingy that I've read about else where? Or should I try replacing the pads? How much is replacing pads likely to be?

I had to pay to have the work done on cleaning all the pads etc. So I don't want to cough up on new pads If it won't do anything!

They say that because it is not mechanical, then I will have to pay for it?

M

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PaulaM said:
I had a 99 1.8 but as soon i test drove the TF (135) i couldnt wait to ditch the F, i found the whole driving experience so much better and different i couldnt believe it! Anyway we all have diff likes, have you seen a new one yet?
Welcome by the way!!:)
No haven't seen the new one's yet, looking forward too.

I think I probably need to give one another test drive. I managed to borrow a TF from a friend who went on holiday (he added me as an extra driver on his insurance ;) )

I do love the look of the TF admitidly.

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
essexguy said:
No haven't seen the new one's yet, looking forward too.

I think I probably need to give one another test drive. I managed to borrow a TF from a friend who went on holiday (he added me as an extra driver on his insurance ;) )

I do love the look of the TF admitidly.
I took the TF on a test drive on the worst possible day, it was pi$$ing down with rain, really windy and huge puddles everywhere, in the F i felt like i was taking my life in my hands going down the motorway in those conditions but the TF felt totally different. Enjoy the looking and test drives mate its one of the best bits imho

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scarlet Fever said:
I'm with you on this one Leigh - TF doesn't press as many of my buttons as the F does - just a preference thing. :)

A 1998 1.8i will have normal brakes unless they have been upgraded (by yourself, or a previous owner maybe?) In which case it is unlikely to be the same problem the big AP 4 pots suffer from, which leaves me a bit puzzled. Brake squeals are normally either the 4 pots at the front, or the wear indicators at the rear - very odd.

What about performance? Are they working well enough? Does the car pull when they are applied (could indicate a binding pad).
Yay! Not just me. I love the go faster stripe by the way ;)
I just think the MGF still has a lot of tradition, and it was the best selling sports car on its day.

The car brakes very well, sharp and responsive.
A few things I have forgot to mention which I don't think are related. When pressing the brake, when releasing it kind of crunches. Not like a squeaky pedal (which I spent ages trying to get rid of in my cluch pedal, Silicon Gel did the job), but I suppose it could be the spring.
Also when I press the pedal, when braking at high speeds I notice the brake pedal tends to shudder (car does not have ABS). Like I said the last two comments could be unrelated.

When I get home tonight I'm going to give the brakes a once over. Regarding the rear, what is a good indicator that the brake pads or discs need replacing?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
essexguy said:
The car brakes very well, sharp and responsive.
A few things I have forgot to mention which I don't think are related. When pressing the brake, when releasing it kind of crunches. Not like a squeaky pedal (which I spent ages trying to get rid of in my cluch pedal, Silicon Gel did the job), but I suppose it could be the spring.
Sounds like the spring to me.

essexguy said:
Also when I press the pedal, when braking at high speeds I notice the brake pedal tends to shudder (car does not have ABS). Like I said the last two comments could be unrelated.
Are your discs grooved? If so then this is nothing to worry about (it's the groves coming into contact with the pad). If not, then it could be indicative of a brake pad not seating properly (which indeed could cause a squeal). This is where i'm leaning to now.

essexguy said:
When I get home tonight I'm going to give the brakes a once over. Regarding the rear, what is a good indicator that the brake pads or discs need replacing?
Indicators for the rear are a squealing noise (the metal spring is coming into contact with the disc causing a squeal) and / or the discs have a pronounced 'rim' around the perimeter indicating significant disc surface worn away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I do not think the discs are groved. I'll check when I get home.

Thanks scarlet you have been a great help! And MGF's still rule.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine are still squeaking too, though pads are fine - all it needs now is a dump valve to go 'tscchhh', and I could imitate a bus pulling up at traffic lights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts