MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
thats what you get with mid engine rear wheel drive. try controling the slide with opersit lock and feathering the accelerator pedel insted of freaking out as soon as the wheels break traction
Now why didn't I think of that. Sounds so easy when you put it like that. ;)

You are correct of course, but the advice sounds like it is from someone who has not been in this situation with a TF before. I thought I had it, until it broke the other way and totally let go. I might have stood a chance if the road wasn't so slippy, but then again I might not have been in this situation then.

·
Registered
mg_tf
402 Posts
when it happened to me i turnt into the skid and lightly pressed the accelerate until i saw the kerb coming closer and closer then just out of panic just slammed the brake until i heard the crunch..when my m8s and family tell me about skidding it sounds easy to justify urself but every situations different n reactions just take over

·
Registered
128 Posts
My first car was a smile inducing MG Midget (I started with the brand early) then I progressed onto a variety of FWD cars. I also had a few RWD BMW cars which didnt make me smile but certainly made the adrenalin smell. Recently I have had a 4WD BMW (disaster might has well been a chocolate teapot) a RWD supercharged Merc and now for my sins a FWD. The TF suits me and can be a challenge if it isnt set up correctly. As most of the forum state get it right and the results are incredibly rewarding. Mind you I did slide a little at the weekend and the only noise I heard was from the OH in the passenger seat. Suffice to say it would be censored on here. I smiled...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that. Sounds so easy when you put it like that. ;)

You are correct of course, but the advice sounds like it is from someone who has not been in this situation with a TF before. I thought I had it, until it broke the other way and totally let go. I might have stood a chance if the road wasn't so slippy, but then again I might not have been in this situation then.
its far from easy! best thing would be dont boot your F/TF in the wet becasue you will wrap it round a tree

·
Registered
332 Posts
Learnt my lesson last time I mounded the central reservation following a spin exiting a roundabout... now when it rains, I really do take it easy and keep well clear of the accelarator until im back on the straight.
Once bitten ... not gonna be a twice!!

·
Registered
rover_25
3,199 Posts
thats what you get with mid engine rear wheel drive. try controling the slide with opersit lock and feathering the accelerator pedel insted of freaking out as soon as the wheels break traction
Double post but I cant ignore this.

Utterly wrong. Do this in a midish/rear engined car in the wet and you will be in SUBSTANCIALLY more trouble than before. Opposite lock, lift off and wait for more traction.

Applying more throttle will result in traction being lost and send you spinning into the nearest hard thing due to the resulting pendulum effect of 'most' of the weight at the rear.

If you have a front engined rwd car then by all means give it some beans and have a great time drifting it around! (Dont do it on public roads please, have had to stop for a numpty who ran out of talent on a roundabout before, not cool).

Discused in a previous thread - http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=243781

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Double post but I cant ignore this.

Utterly wrong. Do this in a midish/rear engined car in the wet and you will be in SUBSTANCIALLY more trouble than before. Opposite lock, lift off and wait for more traction.

Applying more throttle will result in traction being lost and send you spinning into the nearest hard thing due to the resulting pendulum effect of 'most' of the weight at the rear.

If you have a front engined rwd car then by all means give it some beans and have a great time drifting it around! (Dont do it on public roads please, have had to stop for a numpty who ran out of talent on a roundabout before, not cool).

Discused in a previous thread - http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=243781
yer sorry that came out wrong oviously you wait till the cars stright-ish before applying any throttle but dont opersit lock too sharply because then the back will snap back the other way causing you to apply opersit lock again and get into a spin. but it it shoudlnt affect the angle of the slide much as the front wheels arnt spinning so wherever you point the car it should go (no understeer) ive heard dipping the clutch is a good way to regain control aswel.

·
Registered
rover_25
3,199 Posts
Dip the clutch and apply opposite lock. FWD ftw, all ive gotta do is give it a bit of beans and back end goes straight back in :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi,

When going around roundabouts and sharp corners in the wet conditions, I always feel the car will spin out at the back end?

I went round a roundabout when I first got it and did a 360! Is this normal for the F or am I just driving it poorly? I thought as it is classed as a sports car it would handle well in all conditions.

Thanks.
Yep happened to me only last week, and i got new bridgestones on :( Trouble with the f is that is not balanced well at all. the weight centre should be under your drivers seat but when we had it on the hiab a few weeks ago we noticed it was about 10 inches behind so making the rear far too heavy to support equal force distribution across the car. Add this to the rwd push and BINGO you have a very unstable car on corners. One of the MGF's faults. Tyres do play a big part in grip but they only resist to a certain level and you need your car to levy the rest which the f just will not do. But this is a trait with other rwd vehicles also. Try taking roundabouts at about 2mph in the wet as thats working for me so far :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Anyone else get an overwhelming urge to say

OPPOSITE!!!!

GET A DICTIONARY

??

No more to add to this thread. Cause it's all been said before.

·
Registered
533 Posts
its worth checking if the spare wheel is in place under the bonnet, as this will help weight distribution. i think this was an option on some models?

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Yep happened to me only last week, and i got new bridgestones on :( Trouble with the f is that is not balanced well at all. the weight centre should be under your drivers seat but when we had it on the hiab a few weeks ago we noticed it was about 10 inches behind so making the rear far too heavy to support equal force distribution across the car. Add this to the rwd push and BINGO you have a very unstable car on corners. One of the MGF's faults. Tyres do play a big part in grip but they only resist to a certain level and you need your car to levy the rest which the f just will not do. But this is a trait with other rwd vehicles also. Try taking roundabouts at about 2mph in the wet as thats working for me so far :)
If you are really down to 2mph on roundabouts then you should seriously consider getting some driving tuition !

After 35 years of rwd I have NEVER performed a 360 on the road under any conditions. Of course, I was taught to drive a rwd correctly and have always thought about my driving. IT REALLY ISN'T THAT DIFFICULT.

And everybody out there - remember the F was designed with different tyre sizes front & rear so please don't be tempted to change that unless you understand why they did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These are not very sophisticated cars, no electronic suspension control and very simple suspension. I drive mine by feel, through my seat, that's how you find what it will do and that's why I like it, you can keep it in balance but you can push it too far.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
After 35 years of rwd I have NEVER performed a 360 on the road under any conditions. Of course, I was taught to drive a rwd correctly and have always thought about my driving. IT REALLY ISN'T THAT DIFFICULT..
It also isn't that difficult to spin under the right conditions, no matter how well trained you are. I hope your luck lasts.

For the record I have never done a 360 either, it was about a 290 :)

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
It also isn't that difficult to spin under the right conditions, no matter how well trained you are. I hope your luck lasts.

For the record I have never done a 360 either, it was about a 290 :)

It's quite difficult to spin under the right conditions - as you found out it's the wrong conditions that cause it.:)

I'm sure it will happen to me one day - and if it's oil or diesel then I doubt I will be able to hold it. A few hours on an oil skid pan is fun but there's nothing coming the other way to create the "half a crown sixpence".

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
It's quite difficult to spin under the right conditions - as you found out it's the wrong conditions that cause it.:)

I'm sure it will happen to me one day - and if it's oil or diesel then I doubt I will be able to hold it. A few hours on an oil skid pan is fun but there's nothing coming the other way to create the "half a crown sixpence".
I would actually like to do skid training in the TF, but not many places let you use yur own car, and I would imagine that insurance would just laugh at you.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts