MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When going around roundabouts and sharp corners in the wet conditions, I always feel the car will spin out at the back end?

I went round a roundabout when I first got it and did a 360! Is this normal for the F or am I just driving it poorly? I thought as it is classed as a sports car it would handle well in all conditions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to ckeck thanks.

I actually bought quite cheap tyres last time so you are probaly completely right.

Thanks

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Hi,

When going around roundabouts and sharp corners in the wet conditions, I always feel the car will spin out at the back end?

I went round a roundabout when I first got it and did a 360! Is this normal for the F or am I just driving it poorly? I thought as it is classed as a sports car it would handle well in all conditions.

Thanks.
I have spun recently, it isn't nice, but it also isn't a regular occurance.

Fs/TFs are very particular to having the correct tyres/tyre pressures/tracking/suspension setup. get any of these wrong and you are in for a bumpy ride.

It sounds as though there is something wrong with your setup. When did you last have tracking/wheel alignement checked?

As for the sports car bit. Why do you associate sports cars with impeccable handling in all conditions. There are many, many sports cars (some 20x the cost of a TF) out there that will kill you just for looking at them wrong.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
pamuzu

sadly, this is something that we hear far to often from new owners, especially those moving from front wheel drive small hatchbacks.

A rear engine car with rear wheel drive needs driving differently to a small hatch. They are NOT dangerous but they are different. Many of us started driving when RWD was the only way and never had much problem. Then the 911 started to get reported as a 'widow maker' with rwd and an overslung engine catching people out. Now, 35 years later, most people have never driven anything but fwd.

My car is my daily driver and I'm lucky that I've not stepped out more than about 25 degrees in 8 years of driving an F/TF - except when I've deliberately booted it inappropriately ****.

Couple this lack of experience with poor tyre choice and incorrect setup and what should be a fun drive rapidly becomes a bad thing.

Get the car checked over; make sure you have good tyres; take it easy in damp/wet conditions and enjoy yourself.

**** think I'll walk to work tomorrow after temping the spin fairies.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I haven't spun mine, but I had a few wriggles, and a couple of nervewracking moments til I learned how to drive the car! Once you've got the hang of rwd - and made sense of how the differences can work for and against you - then you'll be fine.

HOWEVER - despite having new tyres (budget ones) all round, I have never felt safe at speed, or cornering in my F, until I recently replaced all 4 with Toyo's. The difference in the handling, stopping distance, and general driveability has been incredible- particularly in the wet. Having got to the point where I was worried about driving it in the wet as I was having such trouble making it stop-I can't emphasise enough what a massive difference having decent tyres makes. I had to brake a bit harder than I would have liked in driving rain the other day - and where previously - I think I would probably have killed myself, it just stopped, quickly, in a straight line!!

Change them - you know it makes sense!!

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
Try driving an unmodified MGC GT in the rain, if that don't give you brown underware, wait for the snow. The F is a pussy cat compared to the C, but pussy cats can bite, scratch and growl ;)

·
Registered
mgf
19 Posts
couldn't agree more. Picked up my vvc nice and cheap, suspension sitting too low and mismatched tyres front and back. The back end felt awfully twitchy, especially in the wet. Suspension pumped up, 4 wheel alignment done and toyo's all round - it's a completely different car. Now feels grippy and planted and it inspires confidence even in the wet. Great fun!

·
Registered
mg_tf
402 Posts
after recently spinning out and causing quite some damage this thread has opened my eyes a bit more, looks like new tyres, suspension & an alignment are put to the top of my list. Thanks.
i drove a corsa with racing tyres for a year n half with no problems with skidding, thought i handled the TF for 3 weeks pretty good until i span. at least i know my limits now though lol

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
There do seem to be a lot of people reporting spins coming out of roundabouts with all the recent rain.

The general jist of the replies is that you need to make sure your car is well maintained decent tyres and wheel alignment checekd once in a while. Remember some MGFs will now be over 10 years old and will never have had the alignment checked.

Suspension bushes should also be checked and kept in good condition.

But a very key thing is to remember the MGF is a RWD car and does have more weight over the back than most. So it will be slightly more twitchy in the wet than a FWD hatch. It is also designed to have less understeer than a run of the mill FWD car which are generally set up to be ultra safe.

So take the road conditions into account when driving.

Shaf

·
Registered
446 Posts
i drove a corsa with racing tyres for a year n half with no problems with skidding, thought i handled the TF for 3 weeks pretty good until i span.
Corsa Front wheel drive and engine in the front

MGF rear wheel drive and Engine in the back

Spot the difference !!

Why does everyone assume there MUST be something wrong with there cars when they over cook it..

I've had my car 8 years and never span on the road ! It's fabulous in the dry and is like a go-kart now with all the mods i've done over the years BUT skittish as hell in the wet so i drive it accordingly..

ALL rear engine rear wheel drive cars suffer to some degree with this.

Take it easy in the wet especially on roundabouts and bends, its not rocket science...

Stu
MGOT
http://www.mgs-on-track.com/?

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
I'm with Stu here.

I have had my MGF 8 years. I have never spun on the road although I have had the tail snap out once due to me driving like a ******.

I have spun several times on track. Both in the wet and dry. Each time it was a case of trying to take a tight corner too fast or with too much throttle. Simple solution was to take those corners a bit easier and I had no problems.

Drive your car according to its limits and road conditions. If not sure of the limits of your car or yourself, then drive slower.

Shaf

·
Registered
mg_tf
402 Posts

Spot the difference !!

Why does everyone assume there MUST be something wrong with there cars when they over cook it..
i was just saying, the corsa was my first car n i knew it would be a different drive in a RWD and i thought i handled it pretty well concidering ive driven nothing else...up to the spin out, i now know what my limits are and i would rather get the tyres and suspension checked out before driving in the rain again, there could be absolutly nothing wrong with the car, but id rather find out anyway.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
There do seem to be a lot of people reporting spins coming out of roundabouts with all the recent rain.

The general jist of the replies is that you need to make sure your car is well maintained decent tyres and wheel alignment checekd once in a while. Remember some MGFs will now be over 10 years old and will never have had the alignment checked.

Suspension bushes should also be checked and kept in good condition.

But a very key thing is to remember the MGF is a RWD car and does have more weight over the back than most. So it will be slightly more twitchy in the wet than a FWD hatch. It is also designed to have less understeer than a run of the mill FWD car which are generally set up to be ultra safe.

So take the road conditions into account when driving.

Shaf

Spot the difference !!

I've had my car 8 years and never span on the road ! It's fabulous in the dry and is like a go-kart now with all the mods i've done over the years BUT skittish as hell in the wet so i drive it accordingly..

ALL rear engine rear wheel drive cars suffer to some degree with this.

Take it easy in the wet especially on roundabouts and bends, its not rocket science...

Stu
MGOT
http://www.mgs-on-track.com/?
This is all good advice 99% of the time, but there is allways an oil/diesel/slippery patch out there waiting for you. My car is well maintained, with good tyres, and I was driving at what I thought was safe for the road conditions on a road that I have driven many times (even in the wet) and I span out anyway. There is no way that you can anticipate all circumstances.

Even rocket scientist get it wrong sometimes.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
This is all good advice 99% of the time, ... There is no way that you can anticipate all circumstances.

Even rocket scientist get it wrong sometimes.
I think we all agree with you - especially those with around 35 years on 2 wheels and about the same with rwd. It is the road or the driver far more often than the car but .... tyres and suspension are quite important on the F. Too many newer owners are buying cars with rubbish rubber fitted - presumably to get through an MOT and get a sale. Also the cars are 8 - 10 years old and may not have been maintained for some years.

I'd rather advise somebody to get their car checked and remind them that rwd is different than lose a potential MG fan.

Can't wait for winter to arrive and give us some ice to drive on.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
thats what you get with mid engine rear wheel drive. try controling the slide with opersit lock and feathering the accelerator pedel insted of freaking out as soon as the wheels break traction

1 - 20 of 60 Posts