MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There's a couple of things puzzling me about the spec of my MGF.

It is a yr 2000 W-Reg MK2. 1.8 MPi It is UK spec, supplied to the original owner in April 2000.

It doesn't have ABS

Inside there is a blank switch where the recirculation button should be for the heater. I can't find the recirc switch at all.

It has no high level brake light - just a grey blanking panel.

I remember from going to the launch of the F in the dim an distant, that ABS and a High Level brake light were options then. But when searching for this car - and I looked at a lot - they al had the brake light and al the newer ones ABS.

Cheers

Dan.

PS Really loving this site by the way!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Abs was an option until 2002 if I remember it was about £750 extra,you should have a high level brake light and there is no recirculation on heating.

Do you mean the switches where the elec window switches are the blanks are for front fogs and air-con both options.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
"It doesn't have ABS"
That was an optional extra until midway through 2003

"Inside there is a blank switch where the recirculation button should be for the heater. I can't find the recirc switch at all."
Only fitted with the optional air con

"It has no high level brake light - just a grey blanking panel."
That was still an option.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmmmm... is there anyway of checking if I have it. It definately doesn't kick in if I have, skids all over the place and scares the living day lights out of me!!!

Or could it be that even tho the car wasn't registered til end of Sept 05 could it be a much earlier TF that they found at the end of a field???

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Open up the bonnet and look at the left hand side.

If you have an empty "tray" space opposite the "tray" where the battery is, then no, you don't have ABS. (Did that make any sense at all! :lol: )

2 secs, a picture is needed here me thinks? :D

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
Although it has to be said even if you don't have ABS you shouldn't be skidding all over the place.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Open up the bonnet and look at the left hand side.

If you have an empty "tray" space opposite the "tray" where the battery is, then no, you don't have ABS. (Did that make any sense at all! :lol: )

2 secs, a picture is needed here me thinks? :D
You'll either see a strange lump with pipes coming out of it or the space where it should be with lots of bolt holes in a steel plate :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies on this one. I guessed ABS must have been an option and as for the brake light, bearing in mind I know as much about cars as I know about rocket science is it easy to fit?

Or is it a garage job?

Dan

·
Registered
cityrover
1,854 Posts
Hi

Manufacturers were forced to fit ABS on all cars as standard in 2003, unfortunately MGR didn't fit it as standard before then due to cost issues.

I miss it on this car compared to my old 'F' :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find the ABS comes in fairly early on the fronts too because there isn't much weight transfer, with the engine being in the back and all. I'm glad they did'nt fit blood traction control too the Cupra i'm looking at has it fitted and its vile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts