MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve recently bought an MGF which is in lovely condition, but want to check for any water in the sills as a precaution before using a protective coating inside the sills.

I’ve had the air scoop off and felt around inside the cavity and couldn’t feel any water, but when looking underneath I couldn’t find any holes to let any water out. Now I’ve checked online but the pictures aren’t clear on the size of the holes and exactly where they are. I think they may have been covered by stone protector on the underneath which I believe was put on recently.

Can someone let me have any pictures or details of how far in from the sill they are and how big they are so I can poke about in the right places. I don’t want to put a hole in the wrong place....

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
Can't remember where the holes are underneath the sill, but there is a bung in the vertical front face of the sill where it emerges into the front wheel arch. You have to remove the wheel arch protectors to access this. I also mention this because mud tends to accumulate in that area, trapped behind the wheel arch protector, so if you're trying to protect the sills you'll want access to those holes - to clear out any mud and to spray in cavity wax or oil into the sill at the front end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I’ve found them, the front one is excellent, I can get a flat piece of metal and it goes right in, all good.

The rear one is another thing... I’ve found where it goes in but it only seems to go up to the bottom of the sill and no further, this might be because of all the bends in the metal, I guess where it’s not been properly jacked up. Any ideas on the best way to open this up as I’m hitting solid metal, well it sounds like that.

Could I drill some holes up into it to clear a hole, or should I stretch the seam to see if that breaks a hole through (would be concerned about this). Any ideas gratefully taken on board.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
When I rustproofed the inside of my sills I picked a prolonged dry period so the sills would be bone dry and then used ML Cavity Wax in an aerosol and sprayed it in from the front (wheel arch) access holes and from the air scoops (mesh and moulding obviously removed). I didn't find anything in the way. Mind you, I have a TF not an F. No idea if the sills are different - I wouldn't have thought so.

I used a 2 foot/60cm aerosol adaptor nozzle and tube with a 360 degree spray nozzle on the end - I got it off either Frost Automotive or maybe eBay, then pushed the tube in along the sills in either direction from the vents and also from the front wheel arch holes and just doused everything in cavity wax. I don't recall hitting any frame or bulkhead halfway.

I don't recall using the rear wheel arch sill holes at all as the air scoops are close to the rear of the sill anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts