MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to this forum. So my father had a mgf as his little summer car but sadly he passed last year and now it’s time to let his little joy go. Just I’m not completely sure on prices ect. I know it’s not worth mega amounts but don’t want to be ripped off. It’s automatic with flappy paddles (triptronic I think it’s called) just over 60k miles with a hard top and a few other after market things like lights stereo ect. Any way I took it for mot and failed. Just needs new brakes and discs at the back. Headlights cleaned. And the brake hose at the back has corroded and needs replacing. The lights and breaks could do my self but the brake line replacement I can’t. And I don’t want to pay what there asking. I would like to sell it as it is with failed mot and let someone else who knows there stuff take it on. Just wondering what it would be worth as it is now. Thanks

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Hi-It would be good if you could repair and keep it as it was your Dads, but you've said you want to sell it on and I accept that. It doesn't sound like theres too much wrong and the brake hoses-if thats what you mean-as fairly easy to replace-its the steel pipes that need a bit more skill and patience-but above all-a flaring tool for the male and female junctions-but one can be purchased of eBay, I'm sure (My own is years old and predates the internet, let alone eBay..)
As to value-beauty is in the eye of, etc- Plus you are selling it wrong time of year. -Ive had my 02 TF160 for nearly 5 years now, it had 49k on the clock, full MOT and I paid £1,500 for it! Without an MOT I'd say you were likely to sell it for banger money, which is a shame as it doesnt seem to want more than a days work on it. Provided you have the parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes I would like to fix it up myself but I wouldn’t know how to do it. It is the metal ones that had corroded. There not a lot at all wrong with it. I wish I new how to fix it myself. I have a car and a van myself so keeping it not really an option it would never get used.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I know the problem only too well-Id be embarrassed to tell you how many bikes/cars I own but they are all taxed, insured and road-worthy. It's what I spend my money on.
My point was that its likely to be worth little with no MOT but considerably more-come Easter-if it had the brake line replaced. Have a look at this otherwise you may end up getting little money for it and I'm sure, given you got it from your Dad, you wouldn't want that to happen? What part of UK are you in-worth stating as someone local might be able to help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m from gravesend in Kent. 300 is what the garage wanted just for the brake lines

·
Registered
mg_tf
269 Posts
£300 to renew one? metal brake pipe seems far too expensive in my book, but being a little pedantic - since it matters - you mention brake pipe in your initial post, yet brake pipes in your last post. It obviously makes a difference. Whatever, I would be getting a couple more quotes before making any decision.
Are you capable of renewing the rear discs and brake pads? If so, then you can obtain parts costs via. EBay searches etc.
The maths are then simple, and by adding the parts cost to the best quote for the brake pipe/s you will obviously then know your expenditure.
Without an MOT, the car may only be appealing at near scrap value. With a new MOT and being able to drive it away, puts it into a different league.
As with any vehicle, condition is king, and a realistic valuation can only be made on inspection.
Potential downside/market limiting would be automatic. 1800 or 1600?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts