MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
afternoon all. I have noticed antifreeze leaking out of bolt on top of radiator by passenger side headlight. is this a common fault i tried tightening it but made no difference is bolt available on its own is it part of another bit or do i need a new radiator? ideas please. thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,474 Posts
It is quite common for these to leak esp. if it has been over tightened. The bolt is plastic and will thread itself so it only goes so tight.

A cure would be too find an 'over-sized' metal one and thread the rad to that, or PTFE tape can help on a dodgy thread. If not then a new rad is the answer at about £120. Is your rad in good condition as the F rads corrode esp. at the bottom after 5 years, sometimes sooner, depends on the journey types (short journies will decrease life). So you might aswell replace it.

Also if your thinking of replacing, check out the TF rad as its alloy and last much longer, not sure on direct replacement tho.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hi thanks for that, the bolt in there is metal so this looks like it has been done already then?
Are you sure it really fits perfectly, as the thread isn't common at all. It's normally a black plastic item with it's own part number and changed at every coolant bleeding procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.