MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have just become a proud owner of a T reg MGF 1.8i. It has done 60,000 miles. After buying the car, I have noticed that under heavy breaking the car pulls obviously to the right. It does not track at all under light breaking or when accelerating.

I am a little worried about this, but don't know if it is something as simple as a sticking brake caliper or something more sinister. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Also, are there any tell tell signs I should look out for, regarding getting the cambelt or head gasket changed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Could be a ceased caliper as you say. This would likely cause it, so would bad tracking/worn steering components.
Have you checked the pads for wear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ashy,

No, haven't had a chance to check the pads yet as literally only bought the car at the weekend. Just trying to find out possible thoughts on the problems so when i speak to the garage I don't get fleeced. On the subject of garages, do you know of one in South West London by any chance that services MGF's?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Possibilities are:

Tyre pressures
Brake pads -warn/sticking
Discs warped
tracking
balancing

Check the tyres/brakes yourself....just get down there and have a look and run your finger around the discs.

If nothing obvious get the balancing/tracking checked out!

Adam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get it up on bricks tonight and take a look at the brakes & tyres and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My rather less sophisticated 200 series had a sticky/partially seized handbrake cable which caused pulling when braking at speed but was unnoticeable at lower speeds.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
robarnold1 said:
Also, are there any tell tell signs I should look out for, regarding getting the cambelt or head gasket changed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cambelt (or belts if VVC, there are 2) should be changed a 60K miles or 5 years, WHICHEVER comes first......... as your car is a `T` it `should` have been done by both the above!.........check your history!

The head gasket only needs changing if it `fails`....... if the car is running ok with no overheating or cross contamination (oil+water mixing) then its unlikely to need changing!!..

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,926 Posts
As soon as time allows, when I get a used car one of the first things I do is remove, thoroughly clean and regrease the sliders in the single pot sliding calipers fitted to most ordinary production cars. Also a set of fresh pads if near the wear minimum. I've noticed that some cars' so treated improve their standard braking so well that's it's almost like a brake upgrade.... which is nice...;)

Sticking caliper is the first thing I'd check for ... ON BOTH sides ... because both may be sticking only one moreso than the other giving the imbalance. You could cure one and then have the car pull the other way otherwise .... DOH!...:doh:

P.S. The MK1 Metros had FOUR POT CALIPERS - yes, superior non-slider four pots!! ... and the Princesses and the ....Good old BL/ARG over-engineering.... Sticking calipers almost unheard of...

Don't you just lurve ... err, progress...:(

However, some MGF/TFs had very nice four pots .... finished in red with a White MG Logo ... look superb and even better through the spokes of a modified MG Montego Turbo's alloys...;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to you all, so much for your replies.

I am feeling a bit better about my car now as with it booked in for a service next week I have asked them to specifically look at the brakes on top of everything else.

Unfortunately in my service history the last two services have not had any comments in the work done box, so I have no clue what has and what hasn't been done! So I figure to be safe rather than sorry I am going to pay for the full 60,000 mile service and get it all sorted! I'll pop an image on here weekend after next of my car all ready and checked, as that seems the thing to do in this forum!

Hope you all enjoy your MG's over the bank holiday weekend...assuming we get some sunshine!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
MGJohn said:
However, some MGF/TFs had very nice four pots .... finished in red with a White MG Logo ... look superb and even better through the spokes of a modified MG Montego Turbo's alloys...;)
Still looks best on my 160 John!!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts