MG-Rover.org Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what they think has gone wrong with my MGF VVC power steering? It has developed an intermittent fault where power assistance fails completely and the warning light comes on. There is a brief clicking noise coming from the passenger dashboard, behind the glove compartment, which happens when the car is first started, but disappears after about 30 seconds. Could it be a pump sticking? The problem was present for a few hours then corrected itself completely, and the fluid level is fine. It has intermittently failed twice, but now however the problem is persistant.
I havn't had a chance to take it to a garage yet. Does it sound expensive?!?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
The PAS on a F/TF is all-electric so there is no fluid or pump so the problem could be a dodgy electrical connection. The sensors on the steering column can also start to fail, have you noticed the steering pulling to one side on its own accord?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
The clicking you hear is a relay. Mine does it once just after startup and just after switch off.

I suspect you could have an intermittant fault either in the EPAS ECU or in the road speed signal that is sent to the EPAS ECU.

As a short term fix, pull the big fuse out from under the bonnet.

It will disable the EPAS system leaving you on manual steering, (it will be heavy at parking speeds but ok for normal driving)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chris for the quick reply. There hasn't been any pull on the steering when driving. The steering is just much heavier. The clicking noise is unusual and coincides with the onset of the problem so I can't explain what's going on! I thought there was a fluid reservoir for steering fluid, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm hoping that as the problem fixed itself twice that it might not be too serious, but I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to a garage next wekk i think.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
More or less common on the F. See here:

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/garages/garuk.html

Power Steering Services/Ecuexchange

"We are a company based in Greenwich, dealing with power steering problems. We have a way of curing the MGF steering bias problem. To do this job we need the vehicle to be booked in at our premises in Greenwich. The whole job will cost £200 +vat and take around 3 hours. If this service could be of any use to you please call or e-mail."

or bba-Reman: http://www.bba-reman.com/content.as...teering_and_electric_hydraulic_power_steering

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me what they think has gone wrong with my MGF VVC power steering? It has developed an intermittent fault where power assistance fails completely and the warning light comes on. There is a brief clicking noise coming from the passenger dashboard, behind the glove compartment, which happens when the car is first started, but disappears after about 30 seconds. Could it be a pump sticking? The problem was present for a few hours then corrected itself completely, and the fluid level is fine. It has intermittently failed twice, but now however the problem is persistant.
I havn't had a chance to take it to a garage yet. Does it sound expensive?!?
Same problem company fault takeback to dealer let them sort it. I think its a computer glitch

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Same problem company fault takeback to dealer let them sort it. I think its a computer glitch
This thread is 14 years old and there is no dealer available which can sort it since company went into administration in 2005. MG cars of this era do not have dealers available any more. Only new era MGs do.have dealers available.

·
Registered
mg_tf
446 Posts
Responding to 14 year old threads? Surely the administrators can prevent that happening with a simple bit of programming , but...
If this were mine, I would be starting with an elimination of the simple things first - by getting the battery (and alternator) efficiency checked.
Kind regards,
Austin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.