MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm trying to register my MGF (2001 1.6l RHD) in Poland, but I fail the MOT equivalent because the door mirrors don't meet an EU regulation that came into force in 2007 stating that all door mirrors have to be stamped with an "E" and a "III" sign to prove that they are at least 70mm in width and allow a certain field of vision behind the car. I have the manual flappy mirrors, which don't have any markings, and no replacement mirrors I've found online have markings either. I'm guessing this is because the MGF/TF were only produced up until 2005(?), whereas this law appears to have come into force in 2007.

So my questions are:
i. Does anyone have an "E III" stamped into the underside of their mirrors? (I'm guessing not, because the law also states that the underside of the mirror has to be large enough for the stamp to fit, and I don't think the MGF/TF mirrors are large enough)
ii. Can anyone think of the nearest mirror (in shape and size) to that of an MGF from any model of car produced after 2007 that I can try to hack on to get through the MOT?

Here's the latest version of the law from the book they're throwing at me: EUR-Lex - 42014X0808(02) - EN - EUR-Lex

·
Registered
mg_tf
25 Posts
Don't know if this helps but my 2009 MGTF (made after China had bought MG and now called MG motor company) has E4 on the underside of the mirror. If you zoom in on the photo you can just make it out on the black surround. Is it possible to get some later mirrors to fit yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if this helps but my 2009 MGTF (made after China had bought MG and now called MG motor company) has E4 on the underside of the mirror. If you zoom in on the photo you can just make it out on the black surround. Is it possible to get some later mirrors to fit yours?
That does help - thanks! Looks like my best bet is trying to order some new mirrors from China. The "III" is still a mystery though.

·
Registered
mg_tf
25 Posts
Have a look at RimmerBros.com there web site shows mirrors for the MGTF have a word with them they may be able to help. In times without Corona virus scrap yards might be able to help.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,915 Posts
The mirrors on the 2010 MY were resigned to meet the later EU spec and produced for a very short time, the 2009 mirrors were effectively a copy of the original mirrors. I am guessing that the 2010 units are the ones you require.

You can see the difference in the photo's on this page MGF Model Evolution

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mirrors on the 2010 MY were resigned to meet the later EU spec and produced for a very short time, the 2009 mirrors were effectively a copy of the original mirrors. I am guessing that the 2010 units are the ones you require.

You can see the difference in the photo's on this page MGF Model Evolution
That's just the information I needed. Thanks! Sounds like second-hand ones will be hard to get hold of if they were manufactured for such a short time. Looks like someone else had my idea of using mirrors from another model (BMW M3 E46): LE500 mirrors

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am surprised the Polish inspectorate are insisting on a retrospective application of the Law (if you are correct about the 2007 application of E111). That means that all cars older than 2007 cannot be imported into Poland. Switzerland has very strict import laws for vehicles which works in the opposite direction; once I had stripped off (most) of the post 1998 'improvements' I was OK. The Swiss want the cars to be 'original'.

Are you sure the inspector is applying the law correctly?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,491 Posts
This is also strange to me. Car must be stripped to factory settings and then it can be imported. It cannot be asked for a car manufactured before 2007 to meet regulation enforced later.
This would actually mean that they want to stop importing cars older then 2007, but it is not what that regulation stipulates. Only if they applied some country specific regulation, but must admit it should be in accordance to EU regulative...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,915 Posts
It does seem to be odd that they should try to enforce retrospectively one aspect of EU law considering the overall car design would have been EU type approved for the time of manufacture (it’s not like the car is a non type approved kit car), as said I could understand it if there modifications deviating from that original specification.

Do you have a European Certificate of Conformity for the car?
MG & Rover Codes & Certificates Services | MGR C&C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a CoC, just the V5.

I admit I was surprised about the mirrors also. On official-looking Polish websites about importing RHD cars it's only stated that the reverse light, rear fog light, headlights and mirrors need to be appropriate for driving on the right side of the road. Before going for the technical inspection, I thought this was in reference to cars that have a smaller mirror on the passenger side (I seem to remember seeing a Volkswagen of some sort with a tiny passenger mirror (or was it a tiny driver's mirror?)).

I suppose I can also shop around for a lenient inspector (or one who knows what he's doing) but lots of places won't touch a RHD with a barge pole. Some claim they don't have permission to inspect RHD cars (and funnily enough it seems that in order to be allowed to, your testing station needs to be large enough to physically check the field of view afforded by the door mirrors). Others claim that as the UK is no longer in the EU, it's no longer possible to register a British car without getting it converted to LHD. (This can't be true because other inspectors (like my mirror man) are willing to inspect my car, plus we're meant to be treated as EU in all respects until the end of 2020.) I think it's just because they don't know what to look for.

So no, I'm not sure the law is being applied correctly, but I don't know how to report a testing station in Poland for unfair testing (or for refusal to test).

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,491 Posts
There is difference in side mirrors for LHD and RHD cars. Important is the angle at which they are mounted and in orther to move further for adjustment. So LHD and RHD mirrors do not have starting angle position in the same way from which it can move in RH or LH position. Thus mirors for RHD cars might not be able to be moved enough to see the road correctly when driving on the other side of the road. This is importnat for electric mirrors, while manual mirrors anr less prudent to this problem.
So to me this seems they are asking for the mirrors to be in the correct initial position for the driving RHD car on RH side of the road.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I drive a RHD MGF 1998 on the right hand side of the road. To be honest I have not noticed a difference in viewing angle between left and right. There appears to be enough adjustment on both sides to give a good rear view. I can understand what you say so I will have to check again but I am not sure that this is what the inspector is saying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It turns out that even the earlier mirrors have the E{number} III codes stamped onto them; I just didn't know where to look. In order to see the code you need to pull the mirror back - it's in where the hinge is. I must have been wrong about 2007 as year in which the standardization codes were introduced, because even my 2001 model (presumably with original mirrors) had the codes. Anyhow, I passed the technical inspection next time around and I have my Polish plates now. Thanks for your help and suggestions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts