MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Some time since I have been on here.
Anyone put an Mgf steering column into an MGB?

·
Registered
mg_tf
389 Posts
I presume you want to do this for the EPAS, I had the same idea and bought all the parts but I haven’t done it yet. I think fitting the column wouldn’t be too much of a challenge if you could use the short shaft with 2 UJ’s that comes with the F/TF column but the problem with that is the shaft that comes from the B steering rack is only supported at the bottom end. With the standard B setup this isn’t a problem as the column is supported at the bottom and there’s only a single UJ. If I’d used the F/TF column and the short shaft with 2 UJ’s I’d need to have provided a support for the top end of the shaft that comes from the steering rack.

The other option would be to cut and extend the F/TF column and have a single UJ. My welding’s not too bad but I wasn’t happy with trusting my life to my welding skills.

As it is I run a 15 inch steering wheel having got rid of the 13 inch Moto Lita as it didn’t suit it. It’s a bit heavy at parking speeds but once on the move it not a problem. I did fit a castor reduction kit when I had the cross member out and that’s made the steering nicer.

If you do go ahead with, I’d be interested to see how you did it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
Your thoughts are similar to mine,I was thinking of extending the shaft with a sleeve and cross pins all welded so that you have the pins in shear rather than just relying on the quality of DIY welding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts