MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

sorry to ask a really stupid question but i have googled everywhere and cant find answer but i bet one of you knows.

i have my mgf with locking wheels nuts on, have the unlocking key which i got with the car think its number 54 or 58 on the unlocking key but its doesnt fit. i have read on the forums you look on the wheel nut to see the letter which will indicator which unlocking key number you need. however i cannot see anyone letter anywhere.

i dont have the owners manual so not code written down. i am going to attempt the 18mm socket trick to get the lock nut off but just concerning that will damage the letter (assuming its on the locked wheel nut on the car) and therefore i might get one of the locking nuts off but wont be able to read the letter to then speak to rimmers bros to get replacment.

any advice gladly appreciated
thanks
martin

·
Registered
mg_tf
372 Posts
My advice would be to get the old locking nuts off either by force or one of the removal tools available and replace them with either standard nuts or a set of the later “flower” locknuts used on the TF’s.

The F locknuts are weak and easily damaged if the nuts are over tightened, they should only be tightened to 70Nm, not FT and definitely not with an impact gun.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
685 Posts
If you able able to find an old MG Rover dealership, they might still have a full set of the locking keys.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
As said earlier- the old wheel locking nuts will eventually fail with wear. I Had a problem where one of my locking nuts wouldn't come off as the indents just slipped-Now it might have been because of a gun was used a few times to get the nuts off..but none-the-less, they were all going to fail if one had done. I got them all off and have never replaced the originals-just put a new set of wheel-nuts on each wheel-my risk, I know.
I had a puncture last year-Side wall failed and no filling with the Rover kit would have got me home as its no good under those circumstances!!
So, luckily Id replaced the Rover space-saver kit with a proper wheel and correct-sized tyre. It gave me the chance to try out the jack and tool kit which Id also purchased. I was pleased, it all did what its supposed to do and 20 mins or so, I was on my way.
So, Im glad i had 'normal' nuts and 'normal' jack and spare-wheel
Whether my wheel-gun was the problem or not, I cant say-but since that incident with the gun spinning the locking nut and me having to sacrifice a socket that fitted (with a hammer) Ive not had an issue. I never use the gun to take the nuts off-to be honest-It wont shift them anyway, but I do use it once I've loosened them with the breaker-bar/socket and i tightened them with the same bar and socket-the gun makes it easier to run the nuts on and off-which doing maintenance, I find i do a lot of during the summer-months!

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you are close to Glossop in Derbyshire MGFnTFbitz have a bucket full of wheel locking nut adaptors. They would probably have the one you want if you could pop up and see them, or possibly take a photo and email it to them, they may be able to identify the pattern.

Sundance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi everyone,

update - tried the 18mm socket trick whacked it on with club hammer, only jammed on about 3mm onto the lock nut and managed to undo all 4 lock nuts so they are in the bin now and new nuts purchased from email. not going to use locking wheels nuts now, no point cant imagine anyone wanting to steal the wheels, got a new set of 4 16 inch tf square spoke wheels coming to replace the 15in minilites. it was surprising how easy it was to get the locks nuts off with the 18mm socket.

cheers
martin

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,141 Posts
....... not going to use locking wheels nuts now, no point cant imagine anyone wanting to steal the wheels
If the scrap price of alloy rises to a sufficient level they might ;)

Alternatively, someone might take a liking to any brand new tyres which you may fit in the future. Wouldn't be the first time somebody has had a full set of wheels and new tyres swapped for a set of old/damaged wheels and worn out/damaged tyres overnight).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts