MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an unbelievable drive around in my MGF...

I had all 4 tyres replaced (Toyo T1-R) on my MGF today to see if that clears up the 'slithering' problem that started 2 weeks ago. The problem now it seems 10 times worse :(

Driving at 40mph+ somewhat makes the front end goes all over the place as I had to wrestle it nearly all the time. It's off putting big time :( I checked out the following on the car service that it had last year after going through the service history booklet , the following caught my eye...

"OSF Sus Joint, both front tyres + tracking". (Before replacing the tyres today, 2 fronts were ventura and 2 backs were NCT 5)

Perhaps that is the case to check out. Any thoughts? I just want my fun back in driving the MGF (Especially the weather nowadays which is warm and sunny!).

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Firstly, new tyres generally take a few miles to bed in (typically 200 - 400) and remove the releasing agent from manufacture.

What size wheels do you have? What size tyres did you fit? What pressures are they set to? Check the pressures when tyres are cold and make sure they are correct for the size. Get a 200 miles under the tyres. If still a problem get a 4 wheel alignment done (most tyre depots have laser kit these days). If still a problem after that then you have another steering/suspension related problem - could be steering joints, bushes, dampers, steering rack. Sounds bad but it's difficult to diagnose over the web.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could try and do 200 miles done onto the car if I can because driving it is a nightmare :(

The tyres installed was a Toyo T1-R, Front = 185/55/R15 and the back is 205/50/R15 (As instructed from the manual).

Will be giving the MGF a good looking to this week as I just remembered someone who worked on MGF most of the time, I will take your advice of possible problems about the car. Thanks for your speedy reply!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Chris T said:
Have you checked the tyre pressures, as fitters are notorious for over inflating new tyres?
Quite right. When I got my TF home from the dealer and checked the cold tyre pressures the next morning, they were at 42psi all round.

Nigel

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The garage who put the new tyres on would have done it correctly (my dad knows them for years). However, it won't hurt to get them checked out again.

Now it is a case of ringing up some people tomorrow to book the car in to get it checked out. Oh the fun...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I just update after a test drive by my friend tonight. He is a stock car racer and driven many cars (Rolls out the list).

He really went for it in my MG F and he said there isn't anything wrong with it at all (He power drifted around the roundabout which was something.......). I feel sorry for the new tyres screaming ;)

Pulled to the side, swap over and told me to drive back to the workshop. Result? He said "You drive like a pansy" and gave me some useful driving tips to handle the car better along with gear change etc.

Mind you, he said that I would be better off with the Mazda MX 5 which I had this vision of "Mr Stabby".

*mutters* Waiting for tomorrow to arrive.. top down driving!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Togusa said:
He is a stock car racer and driven many cars (Rolls out the list).

Mind you, he said that I would be better off with the Mazda MX 5

Two things you wont see very often in the same sentance!!!;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew that I would get some stick but hey ho ;) It was pretty funny seeing him leering over the steering wheel like crazy around the roundabout.

At least it wasn't The Stig....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andie B said:
Togusa....that was a very brave post, sweetie!!! LMAO at his description of your driving.....classic!!!!
Definitely brave however, he wouldn't jump out the plane doing tandem skydiving which I am doing this august for charity. Or snowboard doing 360s off the ramp, rail slide etc.

Mind you, I did drive a Lotus Elise a couple of years back for charity, redlined it a couple of times in 3rd gear *cough*. I think the guy who watched me had a permanent fix "OH GOD" look on his face.

Pah!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh _SOD_ it. I gave it a good kick on the road today and the front is still slippery even when I gripped the steering wheel.

Garage time..... Blah.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Togusa better to bring it to the garage. It's your car and you have to drive with it. If you feel uncomfortable with it better to have checked it :)

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Togusa better to bring it to the garage. It's your car and you have to drive with it. If you feel uncomfortable with it better to have checked it :)

And don't grip the steering wheel - just hold it like any other car.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts