MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just decided to upgrade the Headlamps to Trophy like ones and two capped plastic tubes protruding out of the back of the lamp got my attention. They are marked in the attched Pic (A). Can someone tell me what are they for ? ..they are capped with a plastic transperant cover which can be removed at will and quite easily.

I started to dismantle them by going through Andrew's instructions from his personal site (Scarlet Fever) but its proving to be quite a complex thing to remove the chrome like plastic (the ones which needs to be sprayed) due to the inaccessibility of the screws. Pic (B) shows markings were 4 screws can be found should the back plastic be moved. Can I go through a short cut by drilling 3 small holes (marked on pic) through the white back plastic and so get access to the screws in a more easy way and so avoiding dismantling the whole lamp ?....or does the headlamp need to be airtight ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Don't know the exact procedure, although I've been there a couple of times. But I thought the next step would be loosening the adjusters and the connector where the wire loom plugs in.

Splitting the reflectors (one to paint, and one not to paint) is the very last step.

However, you could be right that drilling some holes could ease up the procedure and prevent you from resetting the light angles (by removing the adjusters).

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ErikB said:
However, you could be right that drilling some holes could ease up the procedure and prevent you from resetting the light angles (by removing the adjusters).
....that was the idea Erik....its a full complete short cut. My only perplexity is if the headlamp needs to be airtight. If NOT, I could easily drill the holes, get easy access to the screws and remove the reflecting plastic without removing the adjusters and consequently prevent probs with MOT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If that is the trophy headlight (i apparently have these)...what are the standard like??

Sorry to barge in asking more questions.....dont mean to hyjack the thread!!

Thanks

·
Registered
mgf
622 Posts
Not sure but shouldn't the plastic caps be pulled backwards so they will be pressed back on when inserting the headlamp into its place ? In order to prevent rattles ?

The adjusters don't have to be unscrewed/drilled/... just unclip them ! The setting should remain the same. And why bother, next MOT they will re-adjust them again. Takes only a few seconds since they'll check them anyway.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I agree with mg_xpower here. Why bother drilling the back of the light units. If you have them off the car already it is easier and quicker to just take them apart. If you just unclip the adjuster you will not alter the angle of the lights anyway, and when you re-build they will be back in the same place.

Have fun

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mg_xpower said:
The adjusters don't have to be unscrewed/drilled/... just unclip them !
...the thing is that either they are super mega tight or else I have to turn in some direction to unclip them. Either way if i do a false move I would have a headlamp to buy....:yikes:....and they doesnt cost a couple of cents !!

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mg_xpower said:
Not sure but shouldn't the plastic caps be pulled backwards so they will be pressed back on when inserting the headlamp into its place ? In order to prevent rattles ?

The adjusters don't have to be unscrewed/drilled/... just unclip them !
Any more opinions on how to unclip these adjusters ?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Just spotted this.

I had to wind the adjusters before i could remove them, and then i had to realign my headlamps afterwards.

Blimey, this was a long time ago - you're testing my memory now. :)

The adjusters are a ball and socket type arrangement - i seem to recall that there are 3 of these, the two (plastic) adjusters and a third (metal) one hidden off to one side which is a simple pivot point (this is the tricky one). The adjusters have the the ball on the end of a 'pin', with the screw thread below, the 'pin' allows the ball to slide into the socket a little and there is an opening in the side of the socket further up alowing the ball to be released - i'm going to draw you a quick sketch as this is difficult to describe (and i'm not sure i have done a very good job - see below). Basically, loosen them, then you can slide the ball into the socket and out.

Do this for both adjusters.

The metal one is a real pain, there is no such quick release method as far as i can tell, but it is screwed into the housing - if you have a small enough spanner (access for a tool is near on impossible i found) you may be able to unscrew it - other than this your only alternative is to use gentle pressure with your fingers to try to pop the (metal) ball out of the (hard plastic) socket - i managed to break both the sockets (1 in each lamp unit) when i did mine and ended up using superglue to repair them for the reassembly.

Adjusting lamps can be done reasonably easily - i take it from your photos the lamps are off the car and you haven't previously parked in front of a wall and marked on the wall where your light beams are? (this is how i would have done it). In which case you want firstly adjust the lamps to that both the inner reflectors are the same. Do this by standing above the lamps, looking down at them in turn and eyeing in the gap between the edge of the inner reflector and the glass lens. Now park in a similar manner to above (in front of a wall) and then try to get the beams just below horizontal, pointing forwards (ideally do this at dusk). Err on the side of caution, point them down rather than up if you know what i mean. Once fully dark, take the car to a long straight piece of road with a layby (be very careful as you will have trouble seeing, ideally the layby won't be too far away) and park in line with the kerb. Wait for no oncoming cars and then adjust the beams so that they are pointing as far up the road as possible, but still towards the ground and not up in the air. This should be adequate to get you to the next MOT without dazzling people and yet still be able to see where you are going.

Attachments

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scarlet Fever said:
Just spotted this.

......The metal one is a real pain, there is no such quick release method as far as i can tell, but it is screwed into the housing - if you have a small enough spanner (access for a tool is near on impossible i found) you may be able to unscrew it - other than this your only alternative is to use gentle pressure with your fingers to try to pop the (metal) ball out of the (hard plastic) socket - i managed to break both the sockets (1 in each lamp unit) when i did mine and ended up using superglue to repair them for the reassembly......
Impeccabile as always Andy. I did understand yr drawings perfectly and the explanation was superb. My only concern is the one mentioned above in yr quote....(the metal one). If an expert like you managed to break it imagine what I will do !

If I had to drill 3 holes to get access to the HIDDEN screws, would that implicate a problem afterwards ? I could easily seal the holes back with some silicone afterwards. Do you think it will be a kind of a short cut to all of the work involved and perhaps avoiding in breaking the metal one ?

cheers mate and Thanks

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Yeah, it can be tricky - but i know of people who have done it without breaking them, so it can be done. And superglue is a good way of repairing them (at least it worked well for me anyway).

I am not sure the lamp unit is sealed, i know the lens is on a foam gasket, but i thought this was to prevent rattles - i suppose the only way to know for sure is to try it and see what happens. The holes would make it an easier job, with less risk of breaking anything, but getting them in the right place could be an issue without making them oversize. Only potential problems i can see are the lamps misting up (like the TF ones) and maybe water penetration on the lamp electrics (could go rusty?) I don't think the existing plastic cover caps are 100% waterproof though (they don't appear to have a rubber seal as far as i am aware), so i suppose some silicone sealant might do the trick.

How do you fancy being a guinea pig? ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ello mate hows tricks ????

I can't really say much as i have been sworn to secrecy but there will be a new addition to the next ER meet.

It's not an MG either - but is very interesting :bgrin:

D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts