MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this site having purchased a nice MGF 3 weeks ago and love it to bits! It's a 99 T plate 1.8i with 75K miles, FSH, etc.
I have found a 'knock', metallic like coming from the offside front. Have rplaced link stabiliser bar and have checked all other bushes but still doing it. I can't say that it appears to have any pattern, but does it also when accelerating hard. Also can hear it if jacking the vehicle up but when bouncing on the suspension it cannot be heard!
Car went through MOT fine so assume it isn't anything 'MOTable'.
Can anyone help?

Also, I have read a lot about low coolant level alarms, can anyone suggest where to get one and how mush it costs?

Cheers.
Look forward to your replies and will definitely talk more on here!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,125 Posts
Welcome :)

Does the suspension need pumping up?

The low level coolant alarms cost from around £50 to £90 and are well worth the investment, I bought mine from Brown & Gammons for £90. It's a one off insurance policy fit and forget (hopefully)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension looks and seems fine as far as I can tell. I assume it would look low if needed pumping up?

·
Registered
292 Posts
jack up the car and take the wheel top and bottom and try to wobble ot up and down. If there is the slightest slack, your ball joint(s) need replacing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys. Ball joints all fine, distance between centre of wheel and wheelarch seems short of the drawing on here by about 20mm.

Anyone any idea how much I should pay to have the suspension pumped up?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Thanx guys. Ball joints all fine, distance between centre of wheel and wheelarch seems short of the drawing on here by about 20mm.

Anyone any idea how much I should pay to have the suspension pumped up?
Most back street type garages should charge around £30...... just make sure you give them the correct settings as many won't know what they are!.

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
Another thing that can cause knocks is the spare wheel jack not being secured properly. Sounds stupid but can easily happen.

Shaf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts