MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
1,712 Posts
Very easy as long as the CAT nuts are not seized! Just dont buy a pattern one if you can help it, they rasp and sound crap!

You will have toi be able to get right under the car but it can be doine on axle stands. Make sure you buy new gaskets as the old ones will be squished, depending on type you can use a coin to push the rib back out on them but they are cheap (so long as in stock!). Do not use fire putty to seal, apparently you should not use this upstream of the cat as the system gets too hot.

Hope this helps, if you need any pointers let me know, I have changed mine about 6 times due to problems with pattern parts.

Ben

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ben,

The whole system has just been replaced last month so they won't be seized... and I'm changing the downpipe because of EXACTLY what you say... I blundered and got a pattern one and its hissing/rasping... I can send it back and get my money back as I've spoken to the guy but I just need to source a non-pattern one first to put in.... does anyone know if the ones from MGOC or B&Gs will hiss or are they proper MGR ones?? I'm asking breakers now if they can source a 1999+ one for me to put in...

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
mgf
1,712 Posts
I am not sure about the B&G ones and the MGOC ones as I never tested them, I would be wary of the stainless ones though as they are obviously pattern parts. I have an origional one now that I managed to pick up from a scrap yard, the flex section is much bigger than on the pattern exhausts. My advice would be to get one from a scrap yard that is in good nick. Peterborough has a scrappy that is breaking loads of F's at the moment, they quoted me £25 plus postage for an origional, I would be surprised if they did not have one. It is that D something salvage in fengate. They are cowboys but they have the stock! You need the one with 6 bolt holes on the manifold end connector rather than 4 on the early one.

Ben

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure the one that just went on was one with 4 bolt-holes to connect to the manifold... not 6... In fact... I'm just looked at the pic on ebay of the one I bought and its definately a 4-holer... my F is a late 1999 MY2000 on a V-plate... looking at my workshop manual, they changed to the 6-hole version in 2001

·
Registered
mgf
1,712 Posts
Oh right, you need the early one then, I thought it changed over sooner than that. Have you tried calling DK salvage? 01733 553655

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will call them this afternoon....

Once the car is up on the axle stands are the angles ok for getting a torque wrench in to tighten the nuts up properly??

Chris.

·
Registered
mgf
1,712 Posts
The cat ones will be easy, you just need a short extension bar on the socket. The other end is a little more tricky, I used one of those swivel things on a longer extension bar, all pretty standard stuff you get in a socket set. If I remember correctly the nuts at the manifold end are 15mm. My CAT has new bolts through it not the studs so they may be a different size to yours but they are 17mm. If yours has bolts as well you may find it a little tricky to hold both sides as the shape of the cat gets in the way. Remember that the exhaust strap also bolts on there, it is sometimes tricky to get everything lined up cat>gasket>downpipe>strap so you may have to do one nut up 1st then jiggle about to get the next one in!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I think you've just answered my HORRIBLE noise problem. I've recently had a new flexi pipe put on (Stainless) and my car sounds like a big bag of POO!!!!!!

I'm going to try and find a new one now.

What a star you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
ChrisTromans said:
I think I've managed to locate one from a breaker so if he has any more as well Maxine I'll let you know...
That would be great if you can. Mine is the VVC, R reg.

Thanks!!

x

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Pah, at least you lot have a flexi pipe! I've lost my braided covering!

Out of interest Chris, where did you get you pipe from, I need one and obviously I don't want the same problem!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I've just called the Peterborough breakers and they have one for £25 + £8 p&p. They seem pretty genuine guys, so try and give em a call. The number is in this post some where, i would get it for you but im at work!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts