MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
MGF 1,8 2001
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks, new to MGF and new to this forum - because I have a slight problem with my F. It doesn't start. 馃槙

Used it last weekend and to work monday-tuesday without a glitch, when going to work wednesday I turned the key, starter made like one revolution and then everything died immediately, not a single light on the dash. Turned the key again - absolutely nothing.
Started swearing and checked the battery just to be sure, but the lugs sat properly on the terminals.

Swore some more, closed everything up and then I noticed the red little diode labelled "alarm" on the dash actually flashed, so I tried to lock by the remote - and the car locked itself! But I was late for work.

Same evening I brought a new battery and a load tester from work (since we sell batteries), but the battery in the car tested great! Tried to start and you could just hear the starter move ever so slightly before everything died again. One more test and the dash did light up but died when trying to start. (That's the last time I've seen any life on the dash) A third test - absolutely nothing again. Gave up and this time the remote didn't work when I left so I had to lock by key.

Next day when I came back to the car I saw the alarm light flicker but no reaction when I tried to open the car by remote - although I did lock it by key the day before? Opened by key and the alarm started blaring. Pressed the unlock on the remote holding it just in front of the dash to no good. Solution: opened the bonnet and yanked the connections to the horns...

Tried to start, no. Tried to jump start by towing, no. But I suspect that the immobilizer is stopping everything since the alarm went off and I couldn't shut it off properly. Had the battery disconnected for half an hour but no change.

The alarm is as far as electrics go now, no reaction at all when turning the key, no hazards, no headlights - nothing. Got a tip about the 60A fuse between the Ecu and expansion tank and that sure looks funny. Looks somewhat melted but I beeped it with a multimeter and seems fine, though the connections looks a bit corroded. Replaced it, no change.

Okay, some other fuse then? I have checked every single fuse I could find under the bonnet and in the main fuse box in the foot well. Only one fuse looked a bit strange, not blown but almost melted down by one of the connectors. F19 if I'm not mistaken, "Starter relay (multi function ECU)... Hm?

Replaced that one as well, connected the battery again and tried to start - nothing. This time I listened to the car when connecting the lug to the terminal of the battery and I heard nothing, usually you hear relays clicking but nope, dead silent.

What the hell has happened to my poor car?
The only problem I know with the car that may be somewhat related to this, is that the starter screeches a bit when starting, as if it doesn't disengage properly. Engages and starts the engine flawlessly, then a short screech at the end - but not every single time, once in a while it works perfect.

Just for fun I got the starter relay out from the engine, the one marked "YWB 100970". The connectors look fine, no smell of burnt electronics - but how do you check this thing, if you can at all..?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here, should I search for something completely different..?

I could really use some help here... Thanks!

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
To me your problem sounds like bad earth contact to car body. Since you tried new battery and you do not have any power to the dash, I would start with inspection of battery earth connection to car body, then alternator connections and starter connections. Remove them, one by one and clean them well as I imagine they are coroded, or you might also have split wire at point of connector.
Almost melted fuses might also point into bad earth connection, as more power is needed to be drained in order to overcome resistance due to poor contact.

Second option might be starter switch/ignition barrel contact is bad, but in that case you would not have issues with car alarm remotes.

If you want to check multirelay module YWB100970 it can be tested by multimeter and 12V power source. I can provide you with shematic of 4 relay inside, and you can check relays by applying power to correct pin of the relay, while other side of energizing coil is earthed, and then you can check with ohmmeter if relay is closed or opened.

Registered
MGF 1,8 2001
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, the earth connection of the battery is aldready replaced, the old one was corroded and awful - actually the first thing I did to the car when I got it in September of last year.

Alternator and starter connections will be looked at today!

I thought about the ignition switch as well, but what puzzles me is that not even the hazards work - aren't they supposed to work no matter what? That leads me to believe that there's a major relay (or similar) somewhere that makes the entire car powerless. Can the alarm do that?

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
No alarm cannot do that, and no, there is no relay that could power down whole car. Some things must work nevetheless of the ignition (hazard, as you mention).
That is the reason why I do not suspect ignition key.

As I said, my prime suspect is dodgy earth connection, since car has no electrics.

Registered
MGF 1,8 2001
Discussion Starter #5
As I said, my prime suspect is dodgy earth connection, since car has no electrics.
Well well well, you we're certainly on to something there!

I took a good look at the earth connection for the battery this morning and the cable itself looks fantastic (since I made it myself at work...) but I didn't change the bolt to the chassis and that sure was dodgy. Got a new one, cleaned up the threaded hole in the chassis and tried again. Hey presto, we've got power!

Of course a new problem rose - the alarm went off and I just can't stop it.
Locking or unlocking with the fob doesn't work at all (door locks don't move), key in door made no difference and when trying the ignition, the dash does light up but no start and the horns won't shut up.

Split the fob and measured the battery without removing it, 2.89V. Low?

I'm really frightened about the fob losing its magic connection with the car since I only have one fob and I do not have the EKA key code.

This might be covered in the manual, but since the car is imported from Holland the manual is in Dutch and.. yeah. ;)

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Your car lost battery connection. That means you need to do resync procedure with the fob. Press 4-5 times lock button for the fob to resync and it should start working again.
New fob battery certainly will not do any harm as well.

Registered
MGF 1,8 2001
Discussion Starter #7
Your car lost battery connection. That means you need to do resync procedure with the fob. Press 4-5 times lock button for the fob to resync and it should start working again.
New fob battery certainly will not do any harm as well.
Okay, that will work although the alarm is blaring? I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks!

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Tr resync without removing battery from fob, first, then try to renew the battery in the fob. When you renew battery in the fob, you will need to do resync procedure once again.
Car will stop blaring at some point, it cannot do it forewer. Then you can try to resync.

Registered
MGF 1,8 2001
Discussion Starter #11
Just pull the wire of the horn while you resync
I did, but that made the dash click like the indicator was on, which it wasn't. Once I hooked up one horn again it stopped. So I stuffed the horn with the disposable gloves I use when I tinker with the car, not exactly silent but hopefully the neighbours above won't call the cops. ;)

Tr resync without removing battery from fob, first, then try to renew the battery in the fob. When you renew battery in the fob, you will need to do resync procedure once again.
Car will stop blaring at some point, it cannot do it forewer. Then you can try to resync.
Brilliant, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts