MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 F is in getting a clutch the Garage today when I rang as they have her 2 weeks now said it's a nightmare to do. Does anybody know how long it should take and the costs in UK to do. Got the kit from Rimmer Bros with the updrated release lever. Thanks we miss the MGFest!!!!

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
780 Posts
I can't comment on time or cost, but I changed the clutch in my wife's F in my garage two winters ago, the car on axle stands, 50cm off the garage floor. I didn't find it to be a difficult job. I did buy a clutch alignment tool from Brown and Gammon and I am sure that having that tool helped make mating the gearbox to the engine easy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can't comment on time or cost, but I changed the clutch in my wife's F in my garage two winters ago, the car on axle stands, 50cm off the garage floor. I didn't find it to be a difficult job. I did buy a clutch alignment tool from Brown and Gammon and I am sure that having that tool helped make mating the gearbox to the engine easy.
A £19 tool. Same old story. With the right tools, anything is possible.

·
Super Moderator
11,014 Posts
One of the mobile mechanics can do one in less than 5 hours. But I don't think that included a clutch arm swap.

·
Registered
mgf
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's some achievement as when you look at the how to even both drives shafts have to come out. The garage did not say anything about getting the fly wheel machined and I think it's best to do this as well. Did you consider taking down the sub frame.? The garage say it's a nightmare so they can charge but I would love to know the recommended time frame for a clutch. Thanks for your reply.
One of the mobile mechanics can do one in less than 5 hours. But I don't think that included a clutch arm swap.
thanks for the time frame info. Would I be safe in saying the Garage charge £60.00 an hour or is it more than that these days.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
780 Posts
I dropped the left side of the subframe and moved the gearbox to the left. I did not resurface the flywheel because it was in perfect condition, but I had room to remove it if I had to. I also replaced the clutch arm at the same time and it was about a 45 minute job.

I think the suggestion of one of the mobile mechanics is great one because they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
mgf
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped the left side of the subframe and moved the gearbox to the left. I did not resurface the flywheel because it was in perfect condition, but I had room to remove it if I had to. I also replaced the clutch arm at the same time and it was about a 45 minute job.

I think the suggestion of one of the mobile mechanics is great one because they know what they are doing.
Well just to let you all know I finally got my F back from the Garage after 3 weeks. It cost € 500.00 euro about £ 450.00, so not so bad after all. I got 130,000 miles out of it so not bad. The clutch fork was seized onto the clutch release arm and would'nt slide out so they cut it with the angle grinder to get it out. Just to say the clutch was working going to the garage but the release bearing was noisy. So those of you who have a working clutches beware that corrosion lives on the shaft although working. The crunch comes in very cold weather then it can seize up. In freezing conditions I used to have to leave the car running for 10 min so a little heat could get to it then I could get gears. They put in the uprated release arm ( from Rimmers ) but not sure if they greased it. I will do it myself and then put a cover over the nipple so it wont get blocked with dirt. Does anyone know how long a water pump OEM should last. Rimmers say £ 29.00 for an OEM but £ 40.00 for genuine MG one. I still have a whine. I have only 8000 miles since it was done in 2017. It might be the alternator either the bearing but its hard to locate where its coming from. 😀.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Gut feel is 60K-90K miles (same as for timing belt - in theory) but I always replace the water pump when the cambelt is replaced, normally every 5 years. I always go for a 'genuine' one from Rimmers so that I can complain if it fails early. It never has plus I do not want the pain of fitting a sub-standard item if it is a pain to replace or causes expensive damage if it does fail

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
780 Posts
I've been told 60k-90k just like Julian mentioned, longer than one timing belt change interval but will not make it to two change intervals. I once had to change a timing belt after two years and didn't change the pump. The pump started leaking coolant once it was 6 years old. I now always change the water pump every time the timing belt is changed, no matter the age or mileage.

I have bought OEM and genuine water pumps and neither failed during the 5 years that they were installed. I don't recall if the once that started leaking at year 6 if it was OEM or genuine. MG Rover didn't make water pumps, so I am okay with buying OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts