MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MGF clock is for some reason slow, every time i get in the car its the wrong time, if i adjust it it's fine until i don't drive my car for a few days and then yet again the clock will be behind time.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Mine does that too! I've never figured it out, tried unplugging and reconnecting it, had a new battery with no effect. It loses random amounts, too! Sometimes it's 5 or 10 mintues slow, other times it's lost whole hours! :dunno:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
My MGF clock is for some reason slow, every time i get in the car its the wrong time, if i adjust it it's fine until i don't drive my car for a few days and then yet again the clock will be behind time.
Any ideas?
Disconneting/Removing fuse for 10 mins usually fixes it, mine was going slow when got the car, unpluged it (removed centre vent for access) for 10 mins, 4 years on never gone slow again!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Yup - mine does the same thing.

I will give the fuse thing a try. Can anyone tell me which one it is?

·
Registered
mgf
1,114 Posts
Yes !! I have exactly the same problem!!!
Would be nice to get it sorted!!
Will monitor this thread with interest!!!!
What fuse exactly???

Thanks in advance

Lee

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is a Common problem with the MK2 clocks (silver face with the push black button adjuster). The earlier cream faced mk1 ones never seem to have any trouble at all.
Working at a breakers we get asked for these all the time. Could be worthwhile looking into swapping the facia for an earlier spec if the problem continues.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
for once, after reading this post, i feel i have something that never gave me a problem- working clock!

muhahaha
That's cursed it for you! :rofl:

This is a Common problem with the MK2 clocks (silver face with the push black button adjuster). The earlier cream faced mk1 ones never seem to have any trouble at all.
Mine's a mk1 clock....

I've tried the unplugging trick, but didn't work for me! I might try a new clock one day, but for now I just wear a watch! :broon:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My clock had the problem of working from time to time.

It then stopped working all together.

I bought a new one and that doesn't work:slap:

The fuse is fine, and what i can see of the wiring thats fine too.

I love these cars:bgrin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Need guinea pigs for clock tests

ok i bought my mgf (1998 vvc) in april. the clock never worked properly. the timing it kept was totally alien, (mmaybe they made it on venus?).
until last week when i had it out again and took the 2 little screws out and filled it with electrical contact spray. i left it over night to drain and finished the other jobs the next day but in the morning i noticed the face had bubbled up from the spray, but it seems fine now.

When refitting it i reasoned that as it didnt work i might as well swap it with the oil temp clock as i want to keep an eye on that. Also i forgot to put the little screws back in.
So now it is sitting on the passenger side and it works perfectly....hasn't lost a second since then!!!!( touches kisses hugs fondles a large piece of wood..)
So 2 things have changed---the screws are not in the back of the clock, and it has been moved to the left side of the fascia.
What i need therefore is for someone just to take the screws out but leave it on the right. And someone else to move it to the left of the fascia. then we can see which of the 2 has fixed the clock.
Any volunteers? (I promise it won't hurt a bit ;))

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Welcome to the wonky clock club peoples.....!

Had a mk 1 (centre Knob adjuster) clock in mine and was doing the same.

Tracy kindly gave me her spare mk2 (Push button adjuster) to swap with mine.
However the looms to connect the clocks are different which usually means they arent inter-changable..

However, I did get round this problem and did a how to on the subject mine now works fine and am happy to have left the wonky clock club for the time being....('scuse the pun)..

so if you are thinking of changing your clock you may want to read it first...
Hope this helps,
Phil http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?p=3825510#post3825510.

·
Registered
mgf
752 Posts
Mine's a MK1, clock started losing time few months back, now completely stopped, but i have a clock on the stereo so not really that bothered, i just get a bit peeved, everyone that gets in the car, says 'oh you're clocks wrong' I KNOW!!!!!

Just another of her little 'quirks', gotta love em eh.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Mine's a MK1, clock started losing time few months back, now completely stopped, but i have a clock on the stereo so not really that bothered, i just get a bit peeved, everyone that gets in the car, says 'oh you're clocks wrong' I KNOW!!!!!

Just another of her little 'quirks', gotta love em eh.
As you have a clock on the stereo you may want to fit a voltmeter/battery indicator where the duff clock lives/d

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks i saw that post and thread before and was considering it. but seeing as my clock is now working i think i'll leave it for now, until it stops working again :) i have a watch and i know how to tell the time on it too (learnt that at school.. good eh!!!:)) so that can wait while i spend time and money on a few mods for my baby :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also have issues wit a mk1 clock. Am on to the third (second hand). But I have a few observations. Firstly, time was always lost overnight, never during the day and never when the engine was running. So I added an LED voltmeter to the panel and discovered that it stopped around 12.2 volts. It's a recent battery so am still am a bit mystified why the hell the battery drops that low anyway - I never leave the alarm on because the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it. But I gather that's another story. Battery seems to drop worse over winter, when it was losing time most nights. Now it's warmer the clock as been fine since April. I've hooked the other two clocks up to a bench supply. One is still working down to 10.0 volts (!) but the other gives up and becomes intermittent at 12.3. Have ordered a can of contact cleaner to check my engine bay relays (see elsewhere...) but it looks like if you can keep your volts up the clock will work, which would explain why fiddling with things like fuses and batteries could improve voltage reaching the clock itself.

So for me it looks like global warming will solve the issue.

Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts