MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - I've just managed to get myself in the same situation ... bonnet shut and pulling the release lever in the boot is not achieving anything (cable seems tight, but the latch just is not moving). I gather there is some magic trick to get the thing open, so could some kind soul PM me the details (I understand why one might not want to post it in an openly searchable bit of the 'net).
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
mgf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi folks, I am having the same problem here. MGF bonnet is stuck shut. It does not feel like the cable is broken - it is tight when I pull back the handle in the boot ... but the catch does not open. Can some kind soul PM me the details of the magic trick to get the catch open, please.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
mgf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
I've just managed to get myself into the situation where my MGF's bonnet is shut and pulling the release lever in the boot is not achieving anything (cable seems tight, but the latch just is not moving). I gather there is some magic trick to get the thing open, so could some kind soul PM me the details (I understand why one might not want to post it in an openly searchable bit of the 'net).
Thanks, Jim
(P.S. Sorry for the duplicate thread - I know there's a thread open on the topic already, and if the mods want to merge it, that's fine by me. But my SOS on that thread didn't get any answer in the past week, hence my re-post.)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Get someone to lift the front of the bonnet (by both lights) whilst you pull the release lever. Its likely the release mechanism isn't allowing it to lift...possibly due to corrosion.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I think that your new user status prevents anyone from sending you a private message.

Are you still having problems?

·
Registered
mgf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi - yes, still having problems I am afraid, and for whatever reason it seems that the PM feature is not working for me either. Could you send me information on the 'trick to open the bonnet' by email - home(at)jim-chapman.net ?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Hi Jim,

E-mail sent.

Good luck.

Reactions: mgpoll

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,554 Posts
Last time we had a thread about a flat battery and a stuck bonnet catch someone mentioned that it is possible to charge the battery without access to the bonnet area, just to get the car going. I can't remember the details, maybe it was through the cigarette lighter, although there must be plenty of other points a charger could feed into the 12V battery line.

·
Registered
mgf
134 Posts
Last time we had a thread about a flat battery and a stuck bonnet catch someone mentioned that it is possible to charge the battery without access to the bonnet area, just to get the car going. I can't remember the details, maybe it was through the cigarette lighter, although there must be plenty of other points a charger could feed into the 12V battery line.
From the engine compartment you can charge the battery at the starter motor positive terminal which is 12V live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts