MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Think I may have stirred up a few biased opinions when responding to this inane bit of MGR bashing on the MX5 forum:

I've have always maintained that if an MG badge had been put on a Lada or Yugo or God forbid a Volvo there would be plenty of twerps conned into thinking they were buying into the sporting heritage of an out-dated brand.

Er sorry they DID put an MG badge on Lada and a Yugo & a Volvo, but called it Montego and Maestro and Metro.

Think MG think other outmoded outdated brands & brand names, eg Aquascutum, Daks, Burtons, Tootal, Old Spice, Yardley, Cross & Blackwell, Mateus Rose, HMV, and of course Rover.

To a generation brought up on cool contempory classless & international brands MG is just so old.
Oh, and by the way, the thread is called MGF TF - Nasty!!

Not a biased topic then.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
*Please do not start a inter-forum flame war if you ever wish to express your view over there. A flame war is the last thing we need.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
Agreed we need no forum wars here!!!!!

but to be fair to them, there last dig at the mgf was much worse

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Just tell them where Mazda got the the inspiration for the MX-5 from in the first place... Also tell them that it is through Ford Money that they are where they are now.

BTW: Just show them this picture... That'll shut them up. :lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
MarkAS said:
Oh, and by the way, the thread is called MGF TF - Nasty!!
You have to consider that anyone needing to deride a car or a marque that far is suffering from some kind of insecurity.

The lady doth protest too much.

And they are a brand sheep too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
Just tell them where Mazda got the the inspiration for the MX-5 from in the first place... Also tell them that it is through Ford Money that they are where they are now.

BTW: Just show them this picture... That'll shut them up. :lol:

I've got a feeling that some over there would praise this quality motor over and above the Metro, referring to it's aerodynamics/performance/pulling power, etc.

My own feeling is live and let live. I certainly am not out to start any 'flame wars', since I do on occasions get to drive an MX5 (i.e. when the Boss lets me) and it's a fun little car. Does that make me a brand sheep? Baaaa!!
I wouldn't say no to a nice Trophy Blue TF though :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hmmm...

Maybe its just me...I wear Daks, I've never hear of Aquascutum - but having looked at their site they do some nice stuff...but 50% of the brands on that list are synonymous with quality, style and timeless values.

Having said that I would'nt choose to drive a TF, being a Rover man meself..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts