MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just joined the site, looks good so far.

Having a problem with my alarm going off on my MGF, only seems to happen in sunny weather, no problems over night only when the darn sun comes up.

Any tips for things I should be looking for.

Cheers

PS Can anyone recommend a service centre on the Isle of Man (not Mylchreests please)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
Could be one of a few things!....

First thing to try is lock the car with the Key NOT the remote fob!....... doing this still alarms doors/boot/engine but does not switch on the volumetric sensor (interior protection)..... this sensor is the most common cause for `False` alarms..

Failing the above the fault could be the door lock microswitches or the more common broken loom on the left hand boot lid hinge!

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Mgtf

Hi

I am also experiencing the same problem. I've got an MG TF and when I just use the key, rather than the fob it seems to be fine. Again the problem only seems to happen on hot days 27+ degrees.

I have 2 questions:

1 - is it possible to deactivate the internal sensors so I can just set the boot, doors and bonnet alarm with the fob?

2 - can I try and fix/replace the internal sensor or is that a waste of time?
My car is only 1.5 years old!!
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,297 Posts
The sensitivity of the internal sensor could be set too high, the only way to change this is to use a the MGR/Xpart T4 diagnostics computer. One of the problems with disabling it totally is that you may no longer be insured against theft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
mgf alarm problems

I have a mgf vvc on a 96 plate and i have the problem of the alarm just going off at random,my girlfreind took it out the other day and set the alarm via the fob ,2 mins later the alarm went off so she set it by the key and the alarm went off again a few mins later so i checked the forum and checked the wiring loom in the boot and to my surprise i found a green and black wire nearly severed fixed that and it's still going off any surgestions anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,075 Posts
Marl.L said:
Could be one of a few things!....

First thing to try is lock the car with the Key NOT the remote fob!....... doing this still alarms doors/boot/engine but does not switch on the volumetric sensor (interior protection)..... this sensor is the most common cause for `False` alarms..

Failing the above the fault could be the door lock microswitches or the more common broken loom on the left hand boot lid hinge!

Good luck
My early F had both - first the loom needed patching and then, a few weeks later, the off side door lock had to be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
My alarm has gone off but that was because I didn't believe it had internal sensors, does anyone know where the internal sensors are located I'm intrigued!
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,297 Posts
The internal sensor is mounted under the T-bar (the plastic trim behind the seats) and protects the centre of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I,ve done the alarm test and it tested ok apart from the internal motion detector which did,mt pick up my movement.
It don,t matter if the car is outside in the garage or anywhere i,ve just about checked everything apart from the alarm it's self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,366 Posts
woken up

just be woken up by my ****in car alarm, i have tried all the stuff n advice people hav given on here, u no...lock by key so volume-thingymawotsit isn't on...but it decided 2 wake my whole neighbourhood up at **** o clock....how can i basically disarm the whole bloody thingy, b4 i become more unpopular than i am now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,070 Posts
hardmonkeys said:
just be woken up by my ****in car alarm, i have tried all the stuff n advice people hav given on here, u no...lock by key so volume-thingymawotsit isn't on...but it decided 2 wake my whole neighbourhood up at **** o clock....how can i basically disarm the whole bloody thingy, b4 i become more unpopular than i am now
I had problems with my alarm... can be many reasons as already said... mine happened to be related to the bonnet release.

I found the best way to keep immobilisation but not set the problematic alarm is to lock from the passenger side = NOT USE THE KEY = cos that still sets some elements of the alarm.

To bypass the alarm and just immobilise (which the system will do after a time anyway) close the drivers door, walk round to the passenger door (make sure you have the key)... with the passenger door open, lean through and push down the 'knob' to lock, on the drivers door - this will lock both doors - then shut the passenger dooor. Now all is locked and the car is immobilised but no alarm - til you get it fixed.

Anyway, insurers tend to care more about immobilizers than alarms people ignore alarms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,366 Posts
VVC Graham said:
I had problems with my alarm... can be many reasons as already said... mine happened to be related to the bonnet release.

I found the best way to keep immobilisation but not set the problematic alarm is to lock from the passenger side = NOT USE THE KEY = cos that still sets some elements of the alarm.

To bypass the alarm and just immobilise (which the system will do after a time anyway) close the drivers door, walk round to the passenger door (make sure you have the key)... with the passenger door open, lean through and push down the 'knob' to lock, on the drivers door - this will lock both doors - then shut the passenger dooor. Now all is locked and the car is immobilised but no alarm - til you get it fixed.

Anyway, insurers tend to care more about immobilizers than alarms people ignore alarms.
Ill give anythings a go....at the moment i have locked the car by manually locking, pushin the knobs down my self!! on either door. Thinkin of gettin rid...only had it 3 weeks
 

·
Registered
classic_rover
Joined
·
1 Posts
MGF - Alarm Resoluton

I have the problem of the boot wiring loom having some splits in the black wires, so some patching required to remedy properly. However, as a better temporary fix, I did this....

- Simply disconnected the interior boot light

The alarm still works and no more false alarms at 2am, 3am, 4am...

I worked out with mine that the light was not going out, causing a nominal current drain to set off the alarm and above has sorted it. So, no need to remove the fuse for your horns or disconnect anything else. Give this a whirl to see what happens as its been a result for me, no need to spend money either and I am sure, like me you can cope without a boot light.. afterall summer is coming (errr, scratch head??), well one day! :)
 

·
Registered
mgf
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just a quick question, i'm new to this website but where is the alarm system located, because when i do lock and unlock there is no beep is that normal ?

Cheers,
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top