MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my mgf recently and have noticed that the alram seems to go off every morning at about 7.30am, dont know why its doin this but it just does this at random at the same time every day, neighbours are complaing as well. is there a set timer in there thats doing it?

is the mgf alarm meant to sound like a horn?
i activated the alarm and tried it out by opening the door but it doesnt go off when i open a door and it doesnt seem to go off if i give it a nudge either. is it faulty?

and any idea how i can stop this ging off every morning. i was thinking of getting a cat 1 alarm put it in...but id rather save the money if i can get this problem sorted.

please help..

cheers

·
Registered
mg_tf
42 Posts
Is there a taxi driver starting work at the time your alarm goes off...my neighbour is a taxi driver and if he switches his cb thingy on when he is parked next to me my alarm goes off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no theres no taxi drivers near me...... is the alarm meant to sound like a horn?? and is the alarm meant to go off if i open the door or if i nudge the car coz mine doesnt seem to go off if i do that...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The alarm does sound the horn so yes, it will sound like repeated horn blasts. Would have thought it would go off if you open the door.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
The problem could be a faulty drivers lock (microswitches inside) or a blank
cable inside the door / behind the radio. Did you try to lock the car with the keys ?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
dj_zedster said:
i bought my mgf recently and have noticed that the alram seems to go off every morning at about 7.30am, dont know why its doin this but it just does this at random at the same time every daycheers
At random the same time every day??........ not very `Random` then is it???..

Your car, or its alarm system does not know what time of the day or night it is (unless it can read its own clock), so it MUST be getting activated by an external force.....

For Eg....... I guy I know found that when he parked his Rover 216 Cab (Similar alarm) up the side of his house the alarm was going off at 6am every morning......... turns out that it was parked right below his C/Heating boiler and the timer switching it on also set the alarm off.......... moved the car back 3 feet and no more problems!.

For a trail try locking the car with the key, not the fob........ doing this does not switch on the volumetric sensor, ie the interior protection, but still locks all doors/boot engine lock etc....... if you find its then ok you will know its something setting the interior protection off......... ie mobile phone, taxi, the milkman, next doors cat jumping on the roof after being let out etc,etc.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had a similar problem with a Toyota alarm a few years back. The sun came up, the car warmed up and the alarm went off. Almost as regular as an alarm clock. Turned out to be a lose wire in the alarm connector - the heat of the sun was enough to cause metal to start expanding and hence the wire to make an intermittent contact.

·
Registered
mgf
74 Posts
i was just about to post a similiar topic.....

had my 97 about a month or so... alarm went off a few nights back and has just gone off again, seemed to be the same sort of time...

peculiar,

i thought it might be a battery error like when a smoke detector goes off because of low battery....

hmmmm

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
dj_zedter said:
i bought my mgf recently and have noticed that the alram seems to go off every morning at about 7.30am, dont know why its doin this but it just does this at random at the same time every day, neighbours are complaing as well. is there a set timer in there thats doing it?

is the mgf alarm meant to sound like a horn?
i activated the alarm and tried it out by opening the door but it doesnt go off when i open a door and it doesnt seem to go off if i give it a nudge either. is it faulty?

Your neighbours are complaining? Ask them if they turn on their microwave at 7:30am to cook their breakfast. If they do, it is probably they themselves that are the cause of the problem. The alarm is sensitive to radio waves from many sources - microwave, taxi radio, cell phone in the car. etc. Perhaps you could get the sensitivity of the alarm reduced, or move it a bit as Marl sugests.

The MGF's alarm is not sensitive to movement, but if you leave the hood down and wave your arm around inside the car the volumetric alarm should kick in.

G

·
Supersonic said:
Try fitting a snooze button

:run!:
LOL at that one Nige! :)

Mark, thanks for the central heating trigger info - thats a new one on me! A neighbour has a similar problem with their car and I think you may have just hit the nail on the head! Cheers hun!

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
dj_zedster said:
i activated the alarm and tried it out by opening the door but it doesnt go off when i open a door... is it faulty?
Opening the door should set it off... so it can't be set. Might be door/bonnet/boot related.

I had trouble with my alarm when I first got the car... it ended up being the related to a bonnet release cable problem.

EDIT: Just thought... if you activated the alarm (locked the car with the key or fob)... how did you open the door?... you didn't break in to test it did you?... :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts