MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just understood why MGFs have crappy induction system unlike TFs. As one can see in the attached pics, the Air Flow pipe and its inlet are situated in the Engine Bay just behind the engine. How come the Air Flow pipe is not connected with the left side vent were there would be abundance of fresh air flowing ?? The engine fan extracts hot air from the engine bay via the right vent (this vent is there for a purpose) unlike the left one.....nothing is actually connected to or with it. Can someone verify this ?

Attachments

·
Registered
mgf
5,479 Posts
You are partially right TREX, the standard MGF induction system is immensly rubbish and this is why such big gains are seen when upgrading to an aftermarket system.

But the air pick up being inside the engine bay isn't actually the main reason it is rubbish. Consider where the intake is sited, on the back wall of the engine bay and now consider the movement of air through the engine bay, under the car upwards along the (same) back wall and out through the vents in the bootlid. Lastly, consider where the main source of heat is in the engine bay, the exhaust manifold, on the opposite side of the engine bay to the filter intake with the engine in between. Lastly the intake is quite high, meaning that it is highly unlikely to draw in standing water (its an enclosed system).

You are right, that from a power point of view, the left hand side intake would be a better source of cold air, but the standard location isn't as bad as you may think - indeed the revised air intake set up (Trophy 160 onwards) manages a usefull hike in power yet still utilises the same pick up point. There is also the lack of a resonance box to consider, this not only removes a restriction (and vastly simplifies the intake tract), it also opens the engine bay up into the rear wheel arch allowing much more air into the bay, reducing ambient engine bay temperatures.

The main reasons the MGF OE intake set up is so poor are:

The length of the intake tract (very long)
The bore of the intake tract (quite narrow)
The number of turns in the intake tract (numerous and quite sharp)
The size and design of the air box (small with a limited filter surface area exposed to the incoming air)
The design of the panel filter (not very efficient, cleans well, but isn't hugely free flowing)
The resonance box (added restriction in the system)
Engine bay temperatures (Additional air into the bay due to lack of resonance box).

·
Registered
mgf
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How come you are soooooo expert on the F Andy ?....I guess you'll get rich fast should you right a workshop book like on the F ! You are indeed THE GURU !!! Thanks m8.

·
Registered
mgf
5,479 Posts
Especially in Essex (my home county!) Should ammend the 'Welcome to Essex' signs i reckon, just like Warwickshire has '"Welcome to Warwickshire, Shakespears' county", we should have "Welcome to Essex - Virgin free zone!!" :lol:

------------

I know what i know because i been around for a loooooong time ;) Bought Scarlet in Feb 1996 and have been an enthusiast ever since, picking up things here and there you know? 9 years is a long time to be devoted to one topic :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.