MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone have any thoughts on current Mgf vvc Abingdon values. Say a 1998,60k mileage, HG upgrade, mot, bodywork ok, couple of rust bubbles. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
mg_zt
85 Posts
I have no3 of 150 VVC Abingdon. They are a really rare model, and I currently have an agreed valuation of £2500 on mine and it has more miles on it, but it is fully restored and as new.
New discs / arms / poly bush / seats / roof / new rear screen / refurbed alloys etc.. the works, but has 81k.
So I would say if its clean and tidy above the 2k mark. Keep it going... love to see pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there Trevor thanks for your really helpful message.your Mg looks amazing! I am actually looking at an Abingdon in EBay. It’s on for £2149. It has had a HG upgrade, seems to have a small nick in the roof at the pivot point, couple of rust bubbles on the front or rear wing where it meets the bumper, and oxidised boot and bonnet paint. It has had new spheres all round. I have a limited budget and really want to buy an Abingdon to keep for a while but I don’t want to overpay. This one clearly needs a little attention. There are others on eBay for over £3k! If you had a moment would you mind having a look for me on eBay to see what you think of the price for the £2149 car? The seller has an excellent rating. Thanks again.

·
Registered
mg_zt
85 Posts
I restored mine beginning to end with lots of new parts, and refurb, along with a full respray.. So I would class mine as above this although higher miles... This is also a really good example, the seats are great, and the roof in good condition - it will show the smallest marks, mine looks very similar in fact. The engine and suspension has already been upgraded and the alloys look in good condition - also only standard on this model.

I would say its worth every penny and being the VVC you are into an even smaller pocket of models, being only 150 made.
Of course I would be offering around the 2k mark if there is work still remaining to be done, but that is up to close assessment to decide not really by pictures.

It is very hard to come up with a value on these cars, and potentially I am undervaluing mine at around 2.5k if there are other good examples at 3k.

A lovely car, and keep in touch if you do get this model, my email address is [email protected].
Stay safe, and good luck.

·
Registered
mg_tf
117 Posts
Just looked at the car on Ebay. I would say that with all the major work already completed the price being asked seems good. You will always need to put in a little work on the cars and that is reflected in the price. But there does not appear to be any major bodywork issues that a bit of TLC wouldn't put right. Mileage is low. Looks goid to me if its specifically this model you are after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I restored mine beginning to end with lots of new parts, and refurb, along with a full respray.. So I would class mine as above this although higher miles... This is also a really good example, the seats are great, and the roof in good condition - it will show the smallest marks, mine looks very similar in fact. The engine and suspension has already been upgraded and the alloys look in good condition - also only standard on this model.

I would say its worth every penny and being the VVC you are into an even smaller pocket of models, being only 150 made.
Of course I would be offering around the 2k mark if there is work still remaining to be done, but that is up to close assessment to decide not really by pictures.

It is very hard to come up with a value on these cars, and potentially I am undervaluing mine at around 2.5k if there are other good examples at 3k.

A lovely car, and keep in touch if you do get this model, my email address is [email protected].
Stay safe, and good luck.
Thanks Trevor much appreciated. Alas I live a long way a way so I may be about to commit a big sin by buying a car just from the photos!!

·
Registered
MG TF
498 Posts
Thanks Trevor much appreciated. Alas I live a long way a way so I may be about to commit a big sin by buying a car just from the photos!!
I've done that before and regretted it once it was delivered. I would ask for loads of photos close ups and a video before parting with any money.

Sent from my motorola one macro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
mg_tf
301 Posts
Personally, I would be giving this car a good coat of thinking about. Yes HG, cambelt etc. changed, sounds good, but how many miles has the car covered since - sounds very little, judging by the 12 months warranty. To me, I would much prefer some proving mileage under its belt before taking it on as likely to be trouble free.
Also, how long has the seller owned the car? Doesn’t seem to be very long, but it’s certainly a question I would want to be asking.
Description states superb (or something like it) yet you mention some rust patches and seller mentions paint issues with the boot and bonnet.
Depends if you specifically want an Abingdon -? If so, you pay your premium price, yet irrespective of the rarity of the edition, condition will always be king, and less rare examples in better condition make well be cheaper and batter cars.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I would be giving this car a good coat of thinking about. Yes HG, cambelt etc. changed, sounds good, but how many miles has the car covered since - sounds very little, judging by the 12 months warranty. To me, I would much prefer some proving mileage under its belt before taking it on as likely to be trouble free.
Also, how long has the seller owned the car? Doesn’t seem to be very long, but it’s certainly a question I would want to be asking.
Description states superb (or something like it) yet you mention some rust patches and seller mentions paint issues with the boot and bonnet.
Depends if you specifically want an Abingdon -? If so, you pay your premium price, yet irrespective of the rarity of the edition, condition will always be king, and less rare examples in better condition make well be cheaper and batter cars.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Thanks Austin. The head seems to have been done by a reputable engineer. I guess I am more concerned about the bodywork. Small rust bubbles on a wing and oxidised bonnet and boot. I am guessing the oxidised paintwork is t really an issue just need a good polish. The rust bubbles might be something I can do myself. I would
Like to keep the car for a long time. It looks like the seller is someone who buys and sells cars and parts so I suspect he/she hasn’t had it a long time. The ebayer has another mg for sale.
Perhaps the 2k price is a bit much to take a risk on given I can’t view the car in person !!

·
Registered
mg_tf
301 Posts
Others might disagree, but equally important to having the head gasket replaced ( and in my book, tested over a few hundred miles of trouble free performance) is why it was replaced? What were the symptoms, did the car overheat, and if so to what extent? Reputable replacer or not, these questions and it’s proven record afterwards are more important.
Rust and DIY. Yes, most will have bodywork rust to some extent, but to actually cure (in caps) it is another issue. Sorry if this is an off put, but repeating - do you really want an Abingdon? -or do you want to spend the same money on another better example.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Others might disagree, but equally important to having the head gasket replaced ( and in my book, tested over a few hundred miles of trouble free performance) is why it was replaced? What were the symptoms, did the car overheat, and if so to what extent? Reputable replacer or not, these questions and it’s proven record afterwards are more important.
Rust and DIY. Yes, most will have bodywork rust to some extent, but to actually cure (in caps) it is another issue. Sorry if this is an off put, but repeating - do you really want an Abingdon? -or do you want to spend the same money on another better example.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Hi Austin that’s all very good advice. I would like an adbingdon specifically as I like the idea that there aren’t many of them and I would like to think (?) that over time they will definitely go up in value. So more of an investment for five to ten years.

·
Registered
mg_tf
301 Posts
I would think any now-in-nice condition MGF/TF is likely to go up in value over the next 5 to 10 years. It’s the condition as is now ,and how that condition is maintained, are the all important factors if looking at investment. Of course, we must consider the potential significant effects of Covid19 on the classic car and everyday car market - who knows what will happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts